Views
Helpful
Replies

Best switch model for K-12 school?

kmigmar805
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

We are planning to upgrade our switches over this summer and need some advice on what model of Cisco switches would be best suitable for our environment. Here are  background information:

1. Type of organization - small K-12 school

2. Number of users - around 600

3. Number of computers - around 200 hundred (but planning to double it in the next 2 years)

4. Network speed requirement - 100Mb/1 Gb fom servers to computer hosts , 4 Gb between servers and NAS storage devices.

Currently we are using Dell switches.

Really appreciate if you would kindly provide some recomendation or guidance!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can start with 2960S.

If you have funds then consider looking at 3560G or 3750G to connect your servers.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting      offers the information contained within this posting without      consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no      implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.       Information provided is for informational purposes only and should   not    be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage  of    this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In      no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever    (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or    profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's    information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of   such  damage.

Posting

For 200 host connections, that you expect to double, you'll likely want to have some LAN speed routing capability.  This can be provided by a 3650 and/or 3750 series multilayer switch.  I would suggest as a minimum a dual 3750G or 3750X stack for your "core" with your access switches dual channeled to different stack members.  (This will preclude failure of one core stack switch from taking down your whole network.)  The "core" stack, in your situation, should likely have the connection to your servers and NAS devices.  (NB: the 3750X supports 10gig, might be useful for NAS.)

Another "core" consideration is whether you need fiber to edge switches.  If so, your choices for high fiber port density in stackable switches is constrained.

Choice of edge access switches might depend whether in any particular instance enough ports are available on one device.  If not, would seriously consider one of the stackable variants, e.g. 2960S, 2975 or 3750s.

Also for edge devices, you'll need to consider whether they should also support L3.  (The latter might be helpful if you want to enhance network security at the edge.)  You also need to consider whether PoE is required anywhere.

PS:

To do this "right" you might want professional consultation.  You might consider contacting any local college teaching networking; your upgrade might then become a class project.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can start with 2960S.

If you have funds then consider looking at 3560G or 3750G to connect your servers.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting      offers the information contained within this posting without      consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no      implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.       Information provided is for informational purposes only and should   not    be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage  of    this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In      no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever    (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or    profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's    information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of   such  damage.

Posting

For 200 host connections, that you expect to double, you'll likely want to have some LAN speed routing capability.  This can be provided by a 3650 and/or 3750 series multilayer switch.  I would suggest as a minimum a dual 3750G or 3750X stack for your "core" with your access switches dual channeled to different stack members.  (This will preclude failure of one core stack switch from taking down your whole network.)  The "core" stack, in your situation, should likely have the connection to your servers and NAS devices.  (NB: the 3750X supports 10gig, might be useful for NAS.)

Another "core" consideration is whether you need fiber to edge switches.  If so, your choices for high fiber port density in stackable switches is constrained.

Choice of edge access switches might depend whether in any particular instance enough ports are available on one device.  If not, would seriously consider one of the stackable variants, e.g. 2960S, 2975 or 3750s.

Also for edge devices, you'll need to consider whether they should also support L3.  (The latter might be helpful if you want to enhance network security at the edge.)  You also need to consider whether PoE is required anywhere.

PS:

To do this "right" you might want professional consultation.  You might consider contacting any local college teaching networking; your upgrade might then become a class project.

Leo and Joseph,

I was wondering why you would go with 2960,2975, and 3750 over say 4500's?

Ken,

Couple questions that may help.

Do you have wiring closets or does everything "home-run" to the data-center where the servers are located?

If you have multiple wiring closets, how many connections per closet?

When you say expand from 200 PC's to 400 PC's, is this adding another building?

Is this all one building or across multiple buildings?

Now the biggest consideration....what is the budget?

Also, Joseph had a great idea about contacting a local college and asking them if it could be used as a project.

Mike

THANK you so much for taking time to answer my newbie question, all of you Leo, Joseph and Burleyman! Really appreciate your expert advice!

So here is more information:

We have one main wiring closet where all the servers and stacked 2 core switches sit in a rack. The main closet is connected to a number of office

rooms, computer labs and three other buildings with edge switches in each of them. All of those locations have 20-40 computers each.

Also we have about 10 Cisco wireless APs.

The expansion plan is to provide students with laptops to be connected via wireless APs to the school network.

In short, we  are looking for a decent devices capable of handling traffic for 200-400 computers (internet use, domain profile, file server access etc) designed for small and medium size organization.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit)  arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information  even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For what you've further described, the various models Leo and I have suggested should work just fine.  Again, getting to to where you're ready to buy equipment and install, you'll likely want better consultation than this forum provides.

Cost is my main concern.  I have yet to see someone correct me and say that a 4500R+E with Sup7E is cheaper than a stacked 2960S or stacked 3750E/X.

Another reason why I didn't want to involve a 4500 is because I don't know is the switches deployed.  For example, in our network we have two different scenarios:

The first one is that each school has different buildings.  They are never joined as one big campus.  SO logic dictates us to put a data cabinet in each building and interconnected with fibre optic.  In some cases each cabinet will have one switch to a maximum of three.  Therefore a 2960S fits the bill.

The second scenario is a building with about five or more switches per cabinet per floor.  Back then the 4500 were not really considered because some clown wants to have the last word or he'll cry like a baby.  HE then decided for a 3750 (not a G or E or X but a plain "Jane") and stacked them up to the maximum level of 9.  Recently that person left and someone decided to upgrade to a 4500R+E with Sup7E.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit)  arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information  even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Leo and Joseph,

Ditto with Leo, especially if you want redundancy and only need two line cards.  Besides purchase cost, maintenance may be a bit more expensive too.  Also original 4500s only offers 6 Gbps per slot, vs. dual 8 or dual 16 Gbps for Stackwise and Stackwise+.  (4500 is a true fabric, but for just dual stack, fabric doesn't provide much benefit.)

Leo and Joseph,

Thanks for the reply and the information. We have all 6500's and 4500's, and one or two 3560's, nothing stacked.

Mike

No worries Mike.

By the way, how's the studies going?

Leo,

Studying going good....I hope as my test is tomorrow (Wednesday).

Mike

Good luck Mike! 

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Ken, I am interested to know why you want to replace the Dell switches. They are only a fraction of the cost of the Cisco switches and they are perfect for the environment you are talking about.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card