cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding QOS

Ryan Curry
Level 1
Level 1

OK, I'm looking to get a deeper understanding of QOS so that I can better implement it in our network.  I understand the MQC theory (class-map, policy-map, and service-policy) but it's the queueing mixed with policing that are just confusing the hell out of me.

Any help or suggestions are GEATLY welcome!

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you gives us an example of the portion that confuses you?

Do you have a configuration template that you are willing to discuss?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting  offers the information contained within this posting without   consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no      implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.    Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of   this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Queuing with policing, yes that can be confusing since their goals are different.  Queuing buffers packets when their arrival rate exceeds transmission rate.  While queued, we can often define policies that determine transmission sequence different from arrival sequence.  (Often the "secret ingredient" for QoS.)

Policing measures transmission rate based on optional selection criteria.  Depending on transmission rate measurement, it may mark packets differently or discard packets.

Where the two overlap, queuing has a finite capacity and it too will discard packets.  Policing can often be configured to allow temporary burst transmissions, so at least with regard to dropping packets, it can behave like a queue with some defined capacity.

Where they differ, policing does not resequence packets nor add additional queuing latency.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card