Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to Factory Reset 3750 3 switch stack

porcaro11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 3750's in a stack configuration. I need to reset to factory default in order for me to give them to another company to re-use (probably same stack configuration).

What is the best way to factor reset these? I wasn't sure what happens if I remove them (one at a time) that I can still log into them individually with same passwords?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To set the switch stacks into factory default, do the following: 

wr erase
config t
switch 2 renumber 1
switch 3 renumber 1
end
reload

Thanks, should I also delete LAN info?

1. delete flash:vlan.dat

When this is complete, will the switches all come up in default mode in a stack configuration? they will be re-used with a new config.

Thanks

Completely forgot about the VLAN.dat.  Yes, delete the file.  

Sorry to keep bothering you.

So after I run those commands and delete VLAN dat, I reboot and the three switches all come up in a stack configuration and factor reset?

Cisco mentioned I had to break the stack and run commands individually, your way is much easier though.

Thanks,

Rick

So after I run those commands and delete VLAN dat, I reboot and the three switches all come up in a stack configuration and factor reset?

The commands will indeed to be run individually.  This is because it is part of the feature of stacking where the configuration and the VLAN.dat file is shared amongst the stack members.  

So one of the easiest method is to break the stack members, run the commands to erase the config, renumber the stack and delete the VLAN.dat file. 

Take note, I said "one of the easiest method".  

There is another method:  

1. Break the stack;
  2. Power up the switch individually; 
  3. Hold down the "Mode" button for 30 seconds and release; 
  4. The switch will reboot into factory default; 
  5. Console into the switch; 
  6. Delete the files VLAN.dat, VLAN.dat.backup, config.text, config.text.backup
  7. Renumber the stack. 

Hi, I have simillar question. I would like to factory default 5 stack 2960X switches.
1. By providing "wr erase" on master stack, is it remove on other stack switch also? 

2. Do I need to renumber individually by login to them after removing stack cable?

3. no switch <1> provisioned command need to issue on master ?

Thanks, Dhaval  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card