Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to get switch/router interface stats remotely and periodically

Jason Jackal
Level 1
Level 1

Team:

I am not sure if this is really needed; however, I am looking at methods or solutions that I can get interfaces stats from my switches and routers. Looking for errors: CRC, Frame, Overruns, Collisions, etc; however, I am not sure the best way to do this on my devices.

Currently looking into Expect; however, I do not see away that I can save the output of the ‘show interface’ command to a file, clear the counters, and upload the interface stats to a tftp site. The idea was to use a cron job and ‘grep’ to dig though the files once on my server, but again, I am not sure I can do this.

I am looking for suggestions on how I can do this, or something similar, or even a better solution.

Thanks

JJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Solarwinds Orion NPM will do this. You could script it and it shouldn't be too hard, but if you have a lot of routers or interfaces, you may want something a little more robust unless this is for personal use. Personally, I would look into Python to do your scripting though if you're pretty comfortable with scripting.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Solarwinds Orion NPM will do this. You could script it and it shouldn't be too hard, but if you have a lot of routers or interfaces, you may want something a little more robust unless this is for personal use. Personally, I would look into Python to do your scripting though if you're pretty comfortable with scripting.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John,

Thanks for the insight. I am currently learning Python, which is slow going, but I am pushing through. This is production, and last Friday I did a router and switch count. It will be over 200 devices distributed globally. In addition, these resources/devices are linked to as many different circuit types. The business is small, and I cannot get the budget for Solarwinds, so I was trying to be creative. I looked into Python, but I am just learning, yet I have started with the Apress ‘Beginning Python’ by Hetland, so the skill set is not there YET.

You can also google "free network management tools" and see if any of them might meet your needs .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card