cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to temporarily save an old config?

Mic_Jameson
Level 1
Level 1

Simple question...

Given: You want to adjust an old config, but you want to save the old config so you can rollback to it in case your new config has adverse affects.

Question: What is the typical way, at least temporarily, to save the old config?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

You can also copy the running or startup to file with another name. something like this

cp startup-config myowntemporaryfile

sometimes you need to have to specify the medium. like this

cp bootflash:startup-config bootflash:myowntemporaryfile

/Mkael

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Save the config remotely so it can be time-stamped.

As in  "copy running-config tftp: (ip address)".

OK. What if a tftp server is not available? Is there simple way to copy it to flash, or a USB stick?

archive
 log config
  logging enable
  hidekeys
 path tftp://TFTP_SERVER/config/$h-
 write-memory
 time-period 10080

Stick this into your router or switch.  

There are two ways to save the config to the TFTP server:  1 week or when someone saves the config.  

See that bit "$h-"?  That is the timestamp.

Thank you Leo for your reply. I've pasted that code into my notes.

>> But it is very possible I will find myself in a situation without access to a tftp server. I may be assigned to solving a client's network issue onsite. He may have a messy network with no tftp server, etc. Or my boss may not want me asking questions to the client, such as "What is your tftp server ip address?" (I have received this complaint before, as stupid as it is.)

Thus is there a routine way to backup a config before changing it, without using a tftp server?

Thank you.

@jonathan.maxwell wrote:
thus is there a routine way to backup a config before changing it, without using a tftp server?
  1. Save the config.  
  2. Make the change. 
  3. Save the config.

"Save the config remotely so it can be time-stamped."

If I remember correctly, files written to flash also get timestamped (although might require clock and/or NTP active).

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

You can also copy the running or startup to file with another name. something like this

cp startup-config myowntemporaryfile

sometimes you need to have to specify the medium. like this

cp bootflash:startup-config bootflash:myowntemporaryfile

/Mkael

What @mlund is what I would have suggested too, i.e. just copy startup-config to another file on flash.

Do know, this assumes your existing flash has sufficient space for the additional file copy (usually it does, but sometimes not - check free flash space is large enough for startup-config copy - copy might throw an error if copy fails - depending on device, you might be able to copy to a removable flash too, e.g. USB stick or CF).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card