Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP "show ip bgp summary" output question

Dear All,

My name is Michael, I'm working at SkyVision golobal ip connectivity company.

Recently when doing show ip bgp summary i've discovered something new:

<neighbor IP>  4        <neighbor as>      10   21914        1    0  599 00:06:19        1 (SE)

<neighbor IP>  4        <neighbor as>      10   21914        1    0  599 00:06:19        1 (SPE)

<neighbor IP>  4        <neighbor as>      10   21914        1    0  599 00:06:19        1 (PE)

I'd like to know what is the (SE) and (SPE), and (PE) stands for.

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies 15

akbashir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

During a BGP route-refresh process the status of the BGP session change temporarily as the router updates its routing table.

There are 3 phases through which the router goes during the Route-refresh process 

1. Stale (S): Initially, when the route-refresh process begins, the routes in the routing table may be marked as "Stale." This indicates that the routes are being updated and are considered potentially outdated until the refresh process completes.

2. Pending (P): As the router starts to receive updated routing information from its BGP peer, the routes may be marked as "Pending." This indicates that the router is in the process of updating its routing table with the new routes received from the peer.

3. Established (E): The BGP session remains in the "Established" state throughout the route-refresh process. This indicates that the connection between the BGP peers is still intact and operational, even though the routing information may be in the process of being refreshed.

Once the route-refresh process completes successfully, the routes are updated in the routing table, and any temporary "Stale" or "Pending" statuses revert to their normal state, throughout this process the BGP session remains established. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card