Views
Helpful
Replies

Blank screen and no console access on Cisco switch

hyortiz01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I saw that some people have this problem. I have no access to the console to my cisco 3560 switch. I can not access rommon mode too. I just have blank screen despite the fact that the serial configuration was done properly:

Bits per second:9600

Data bits:8

Parity:None

Stop bits:1

flow control:None

I just checked the cable and it is ok.

I can also mention that the mode bottom seems that is not working. Is there any suggestion to fix this issue?. Maybe in a hardware level, do i have to change some component?

thanks a lot

8 Replies 8

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Was this switch working before? Does the switch work when you boot normally i.e. is it just console access that is not working?  What happens when you try to boot the switch in rom mode? What LEDs are flashing?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hello John:

First of all, thanks for your response. Now, answering your questions:

1.-Yes, this switch was working before

2.-No , the switch is not working, despite de the fact that I had console access before.

3.-This issue appeared when I tried to recover the IOS through Xmodem process (because I lost the IOS file and the switch only worked in rommon mode)

4.- Now, I can not enter rommom mode, because the switch is blank, It appears that rommon mode is not working.

5.-The only led working is SYST

Hello,

you could try the following:

1. Connect the console cable. (Make sure the console cable is fine)
2. Unplug the power cord.
3. Press and hold the mode bottom. (you should see all LEDs light up and steady for couple of seconds and then start blinking)
4. Plug the power cord back into the switch.
5. Check if you get something in the console...

Hi have the same issue, but have confirmed that

all settings for console session are correct

switch was working before (taken from production environment for wiping before disposal)

console cable works (just worked on another switch)

all leds are coming on on switch boot

can't break into romon and screen remains blank

any help much appreciated....

thanks

Hello,

which terminal emulator are you using ? If you are not using Putty yet, try that...

https://www.putty.org/

yes that's the only emulator i am using

Because you are  using terminal mode you want to run command in command prompt 

Hello

Try resetting the switch by power cycling it and then press the mode button on the front panel for 15-20 seconds as you power the switch back on.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card