Views
Helpful
Replies

boot Fail

tariq1992qazzaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there : 

i have a Cisco catalyst 2960-x sires 24 ports switch .. this is a brand new item purchased the last week from local vendor . 

whenever i try to Putty this error message is shown as attached in the picture : 

boot-fail.PNG

would you please tell me what to do ? 

11 Replies 11

vb10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Try to reload it by power (remove-insert power cord).

If it will not help, most likely you will need to replace the switch.

Please, save the logs from whole reload process, probably you can also try to boot from different image, if there is an access to rommon

Hello,

try a factory reset:

--> Press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds.
--> Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.
--> The switch now operates like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup.

Check the link below for Express Setup instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/hardware/quick/guide/b_gsg_2960xr.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Console into the switch and reboot.
Post the entire boot-up process.

I Also faced the same problem that is BOOT FAIL on Cisco 2960 x series switch pleas help me to fix it

Console into the switch and reboot.
Post the entire boot-up process.

no boot process is displayed only it displays BOOT FAILED continuously

Contact Cisco TAC and arrange for an RMA.

how could i contact

Send an email to TAC.

Vincent5
Level 1
Level 1

I have same issue.

Could it help to change the integrated PSU?

The CLI only shows "BOOT FAIL" so no chance to factory reset or similar.

Vincent5
Level 1
Level 1

I opened it up and found it have some kind of liquid on the motherboard. (see the two photos I attached).

Anyone know if there is a component missing here? Any place to see all the components that should be on the motherboard?

The device was working, then I shipped it (didnt see any loose parts). Then I got it shipped back to me becuase it was broken.

I will clean it up and then start it again see if it helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card