Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot Loader image and IOS image

SIMMN
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hey,

Just got this question after upgrading IOS image to V15 on four 2960S switches: Should I make the boot loader image to match the IOS version?

I never thought about this while upgrading IOS image unless there is boot issue. I googled for answer but no luck there...

I checked download section on Cisco.com for C2960S-48FPS-L switch and there is simply no boot loader image...

The running boot loader is C2960S-HBOOT-M Version 12.2(55r)SE

The running IOS is: 15.0 (2) SE2

Thanks,

/S

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So you mean when I was upgrading the IOS, the bootloader got upgraded automatically accordingly?

Yes and no.

Not neccessarily on the 2960S platform, but the IOS will determine (during the beginning when the IOS is being buffered by the switch), if the bootstrap needs upgrade.  If it does, then the IOS will perform the boostrap upgrade automatically.  There's no operator option to halt or deny the bootstrap upgrade.

After the boostrap is upgraded, the switch will reboot and load the IOS again.   This is why in other models, such as 2960, 3560 and 3750, when you upgrade, for example, from 12.2(44)SE to 15.0(2)SE2, you'll see the bootstrap being upgraded.  With the 2960S, the default IOS verson has the bootstrap upgraded to the current latest version.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bootloader/Bootstrap will be upgrade automatically.

So you mean when I was upgrading the IOS, the bootloader got upgraded automatically accordingly?

Yes and no.

Not neccessarily on the 2960S platform, but the IOS will determine (during the beginning when the IOS is being buffered by the switch), if the bootstrap needs upgrade.  If it does, then the IOS will perform the boostrap upgrade automatically.  There's no operator option to halt or deny the bootstrap upgrade.

After the boostrap is upgraded, the switch will reboot and load the IOS again.   This is why in other models, such as 2960, 3560 and 3750, when you upgrade, for example, from 12.2(44)SE to 15.0(2)SE2, you'll see the bootstrap being upgraded.  With the 2960S, the default IOS verson has the bootstrap upgraded to the current latest version.

Thanks. So can I say the IOS image also contain bootloader image?

So can I say the IOS image also contain bootloader image?

Depends on the IOS version.

I believe starting from 12.2(50)SE a copy of the bootstrap is included. 

Thanks That is really helpful

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card