Views
Helpful
Replies

BPDU and native vlan

fereshtemohebbi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am studing for the ccnp switching. I have a question regarding the BPDU and native vlan. if we change the native vlan to another vlan, and also the native vlan is tagged. what happens to stp, RSTP bpdus.

example: vlan 1 BPDU where the native vlan is 99 and native vlan is tagged

does vlan 1 tagged through vlan 1 and untagged through vlan 99?

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If any topology changes, the convergence take place automatically.

More information for your reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/12013-17.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

my question is about tagging and untagging nnot convergence

IBMeR
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco send 2 types of BPDU.

1) Standart BPDU, for example STP BPDU over native vlan.

2) Proprietary BPDU, in case STP - PVST+ BPDU in all allowed vlans this trunk.

If you have trunk with 3 allowed vlan: 1,2 and 99, where 99 native vlan and tagged - STP BPDU will send tagged in vlan 99, PVST+ BPDU will send tagged in vlans 1,2 and 99.

thanks for your reply, But i am confused, base on this link: "https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/24330-185.html#cg5" "In PVST+, the 802.1Q IEEE BPDUs are forwarded untagged on the common Spanning Tree VLAN 1 for interoperability with other vendors, unless VLAN 1 has been cleared from the trunk. This is the case regardless of the native VLAN configuration. Cisco PVST+ BPDUs are sent and tagged for all other VLANs. See the Spanning Tree Protocol section for more details." and also "https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/techdoc/dc/reference/cli/nxos/commands/l2/vlan-dot1q-tag-native.html" "

Control traffic continues to be accepted as untagged on the native VLAN on a trunked port, even when the vlan dot1q tag native command is enabled." . base on the first link standard stp is on vlan 1 and also base on the second link it is untagged. I got confused

I correct my answer:

STP BPDU always will be sent untagged. It's mean - without 802.1Q header. And contains STP info from STP tree for VLAN 1. If you set native vlan "always tagged" - STP BPDU still send and receive untagged.

But if you remove VLAN 1 from trunk - this port will be removed from VLAN 1 tree and STP BPDU will stop to send in this trunk (PVST+ BPDU still send, but only for allowed vlans)

I don't agree with above.

Below is the result of testing it on 2960 and 3650 switches:

- STP BPDUs use vlan 1 and they can be filtered through “sw trunk allowed vlan remove 1”

- PVST BPDUs use the corresponding vlan numbers and they can be filtered.

- MST BPDUs use vlan 1 and they CANNOT be filtered.

A general thought that everyone should know:

vlan 1 is the native vlan by default and a native vlan is usually untagged.

So, if the native vlan is changed, vlan 1 will be tagged for user data traffic and control traffic too.

Excuse me that I meddle in this matter ... but here you have a question that before I had it very clear but now I have my doubts

In which two ways are IEEE STP BPDUs forwarded if VLAN 99 is configured as native? (Choose two )
A. VLAN 1 STP BPDUs are sent tagged on VLAN 1
B. VLAN 1 STP BPDUs are sent tagged on VLAN 99
C. VLAN 1 and VLAN 99 BPDUs are sent tagged on VLAN 1
D. VLAN 1 STP BPDUs are sent untagged on VLAN 1
E. VLAN 1 STP BPDUs are sent untagged on VLAN 99

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: