Views
Helpful
Replies

Break into 2950 switch password reset

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

How can i break into a cisco 2950 switch and reset the local username, enable password and enable secret.  I tried these steps below but i dont want to get rid of the config i just want to put in a new username and password.  I also dont have the config thats on it and need a copy of this before i do anything to get rid of it or rename it.

1) Hit Mode button (front, bottom left), plug the power back in, Release the Mode button after approximately 5 seconds when the Status (STAT) LED goes out. When you release the Mode button, the SYST LED blinks amber.

2) Type flash_init, and enter.

3) Issue the load_helper command.

4) Then do dir flash:

5) You will see the config file (probably config.txt), so do this...type  rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

6) Then type boot

THIS IS WHERE I GET STUCK AS BOOT JUST BRINGS ME BACK TO THE OLD CONFIG

thanks

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jan Rolny
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Kevin,

there is more steps to achieve password reset on 2950.

After boot, your IOS should ask you if you want to pass initial configuration. If it will not ask you probably startup-config was not renamed.

If it will ask you so you type "n" and continue in point 10 of this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Best regards,

Jan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jan Rolny
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Kevin,

there is more steps to achieve password reset on 2950.

After boot, your IOS should ask you if you want to pass initial configuration. If it will not ask you probably startup-config was not renamed.

If it will ask you so you type "n" and continue in point 10 of this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Best regards,

Jan

Jan,

Good document and now i understand the steps much better.

cheers

Kevin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card