Views
Helpful
Replies

broadcast storm control using QOS to stop it to punt the CPU

deepak george
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How do i supress the broadcast in Nexus switches(5672UP's)

Our's is a lab environment and we have a lot of teams generating a lot of broadcast traffic. Broadcast storm control detection will help, however  the traffic hits the CPU and would cause CPU utilisation.

Can i use QOS to ensure that the traffic doesn't punt the CPU?If yes can you share any info

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

On the 5600 series, you can configure broadcaset control on Portchannels as well as host ports (FEX ports).

Here is the config guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/layer2/7x/b_5600_Layer2_Config_7x/b_6k_Layer2_Config_7x_chapter_01101.html#task_1072339

HTH

Thanks Reza,

I am looking for an option to control the broadcast storms punting the CPU like COPP or QOS.

Do you have any suggestions for the same.

Thanks

Deepak

Hi,

So, what is the cpu utilization when there is a lot of broadcast traffic? Does it go up significantly?

I think if you stop it at the ingress ports (access ports) than you should not see much of cpu utilization by broadcast traffic.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks for getting back.

I am looking to configure broadcast storm control on a layer 3 interface on N5672UP.

I know that broadcast storm is a layer 2 feature and might not support on Nexus. Is there a way i can overcome this as this is available on a normal catalyst switch.

Ours is a development enviornment and we have a lot of traffic generated. This is our aggregation layer switch and we have a lot of gateways confgured

The CPU utilisation would be between 85 to 95%

Hello

@deepak george wrote:

Hi Reza,

Thanks for getting back.

I am looking to configure broadcast storm control on a layer 3 interface on N5672UP.

I know that broadcast storm is a layer 2 feature and might not support on Nexus. Is there a way i can overcome this as this is available on a normal catalyst switch.

Ours is a development environment and we have a lot of traffic generated. This is our aggregation layer switch and we have a lot of gateways confgured

Broadcast isnt traversed over L3  so as resa suggested negate as close to the source as possible (storm control) and i would say that your cpu usage will decrease IF that's what causing  high cpu process in the first place?

On a side note - you have directed broadcast enabled?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

broadcast storm control using QOS to stop it to punt the CPU

You can use the traffic storm control feature to prevent disruptions on Layer 2 ports by a broadcast, multicast, or unknown unicast traffic storm

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card