Views
Helpful
Replies

Brown-filed migration from StackWise to Virtual StackWise Migration

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I hope you all are safe and healthy. Have you ever migrated from StackWise to Virtual StackWise Migration on Cisco 3850 switches? What is your recommendation or safe process to avoid the failure of migration? Currently, Both switches are in the StackWise and Will be migrate in Virtual StackWise soon. So do I need to set a factory default to the switches (both chassis) or only shutdown the uplink and downlink ports will prevent me (sure it will) from split-brain condition (only the time of removing StackWise cable and converting switches in the virtual StackWise and connecting cables)?

What are your suggestions or What challenges have you faced during this migration (if ever performed)? 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/nb-06-cat-9k-stack-wp-cte-en.html

- Perhaps not completely related to your platform , but you may want to read the paragrahs 

StackWise Virtual mode and the one after that. Also check :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/q-and-a-c67-738577.pdf

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello
I have personally never performed it the way you have quired however I would say save the running configuration of the stack and re-create from scratch as you need to reload both switches a couple of times anyway for the SVL and DAD links and then relocate the multiple interconnects for the MEC creations that is assuming the exiting stack running as a distribution node?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

Yes, this is at the distribution layer but it is not at the main distribution location. after that, there are many small switches for factory purposes so using a single MEC (between this switch to Core). 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card