Views
Helpful
Replies

Building to Building Fiber

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

All,

looking for some input.  I have 2 buildings separated by about 1000 feet.  We need to get them connected by Fiber.  about 100 people and IP phones in each building.  I am thinking 24 strand of single mode fiber as a starting point.  Can anyone tell me if that should be sufficient?  I know there are probably more variables involved. but just looking for a starting point.

All replies rated.  Thanks!                  

2 Replies 2

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scott,

The answer depeds on what type of kit you intend to fit at each end.

To link between a couple of lan switches and leave some spare then an 8 strand would suffice.

I think 24 strands is good future proofing.

At 1000 feet (App 300M) make sure you use Single Mode and all

the correct patch cords and GBICs/SFPs etc.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Really depends on what you anticipate your bandwidth might need to be and what optics you're going/willing to use on the fiber.  For 100 users, 4 strands supporting dual gig or 10g (for 40g) should be ample for some time.

Of course, the big ticket cost item is the installation itself, so it doesn't hurt to have additional stands.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card