Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk rommon boot?

Jesse Dungeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out if there is any way to boot multiple switches into the ROMMON mode.

I am wondering if there is some sort of tool which makes this easier, if there is an automated way or if I have to do this manually.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. Without knowing what platform, the easiest way to boot all platforms into ROMMON is to format the flash/bootflash.  
  2. For routers and some switches, changing the config-registry will guarantee booting into ROMMON. 
  3. For ASR1k &/or ISR 4k, one sure-fire way to boot into ROMMON is to take advantage of CSCvg37458 and configure the wrong boot-variable statement.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that i am aware any tool, if the switch booting normally, you can write a script to remove IOS image and reload device, that go in to ROMMON.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for your answer,

unfortunately I cannot log into the devices myself, since there is a configuration with credentials which I do not have.

So there is no option now ,  you need to go password recovery process.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- As you state rommon-boot requires manual actions usually , you can not do that in bulk.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In theory, if "something", in bulk, resets the boot/config register to boot into ROMMON, and then reloaded the device, that should meet your goal.  Unfortunately, cannot suggest any "tool" to do this, easily.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. Without knowing what platform, the easiest way to boot all platforms into ROMMON is to format the flash/bootflash.  
  2. For routers and some switches, changing the config-registry will guarantee booting into ROMMON. 
  3. For ASR1k &/or ISR 4k, one sure-fire way to boot into ROMMON is to take advantage of CSCvg37458 and configure the wrong boot-variable statement.  
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card