Views
Helpful
Replies

C1000-24T-4X-L with version 15.2(7)E9, the SFP+ LED not blinking

WinLing
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently have encountered several C1000-24T-4X-L switches. With the default firmware version of 15.2(7)E6, the LED indicators display normally when using the SFP interface.

However, when I upgraded the firmware to 15.2(7)E9, the latest and officially recommended version, and connected using GLC-LH-SM to another switch, everything was normal, and the LED was blinking.

On the other hand, when connecting with SFP-10G-LR to another switch, the connection is normal, but the LED does not light up. I also used the 'show hardware led' command, and it indicated a green light for that interface, but in reality, the LED lights are not blinking.

Would you please tell me how to check it ? Thanks!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

runt frame
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem as well, same switch, same firmware version. SFP+ module is SFP-10GBase-SR.

The link light for the SFP+ port comes on when the mode button is used once after the switch has booted. After that the indicator light works as expected. That's probably a bug, but I don't find it mentioned anywhere.

Edit: There's indeed apparently no way that the link light ever comes off once it has been lit except for a switch reload. Unplugging the fibre? Setting the port to shutdown? Nothing changes it. "show hardware led" does give the correct state, but that's not reflected in what the hardware does. To summarize: The handling of the SFP Port LED appears to be quite buggy.

Edit 2: There appears to be an open bug related to this issue: CSCwe32897. It is categorized as "minor" and as I am writing this open for a year since Februrary 2023.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@WinLing 

It seems to be supported as per below matrix, and is probably a cosmetic bug however found some issues related with LED on the release notes.

RubenCocheno_0-1703756079215.png

release notes

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst1000/software/releases/15_2_7_e/release_notes/ol_15_2_7_e_c1000.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_d1f9e16b-27e7-48ad-a16f-1fa252e4a907

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Thank you for sharing this information !!

runt frame
Level 1
Level 1

I have this problem as well, same switch, same firmware version. SFP+ module is SFP-10GBase-SR.

The link light for the SFP+ port comes on when the mode button is used once after the switch has booted. After that the indicator light works as expected. That's probably a bug, but I don't find it mentioned anywhere.

Edit: There's indeed apparently no way that the link light ever comes off once it has been lit except for a switch reload. Unplugging the fibre? Setting the port to shutdown? Nothing changes it. "show hardware led" does give the correct state, but that's not reflected in what the hardware does. To summarize: The handling of the SFP Port LED appears to be quite buggy.

Edit 2: There appears to be an open bug related to this issue: CSCwe32897. It is categorized as "minor" and as I am writing this open for a year since Februrary 2023.

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I tried pressing the mode button, and the SFP+ port lit up. However, when I removed the connection cable, the LED continued to stay on. This seems to be a bug. I may open a case to request support.

WinLing
Level 1
Level 1

15.2(7) E10 Solved this problem !!!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card