cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C1000 switches with IOS ver 15.2(7)E4 bricking my GLC-LG-SMD SFPs

ITOTGuy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C1000-8T-2G-L and C1000-24T-4G-L switches running IOS ver 15.2(7)E4. When I plug in brand new GLC-LH-SMD sfp's they are recognized at first but when I do a reload or plug the sfp into a different port, I get %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in .... has bad crc and the port goes into err-disabled. I can't run 

service unsupported-transceiver 

because its not recognized as a valid command. I've taken more of my unopened SFPs and plugged them into different models like the C3560 and C3850 and they work just fine but as soon as they get plugged into the C1000s then get removed\moved, they are bricked. Has anyone run into this issue or have a known cause? I've added my SFPs and switches into Cisco MyDevice list so they're recognized as actual Cisco made and the compatibility matrix shows the version is compatible. 

13 Replies 13

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

not sure is this works, let's try :

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

command syntax :

no errdisable recovery cause {all | arp-inspection | bpduguard | channel-misconfig | dhcp-rate-limit | dtp-flap | gbic-invalid | inline-power | link-flap | loopback | mac-limit | pagp-flap | port-mode-failure | pppoe-ia-rate-limit | psecure-violation | psp | security-violation | sfp-config-mismatch | storm-control | udld | vmps}

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the response. That command was accepted but whenever I plug in the bricked SFPs they stay "unsupported". I have 4 more unopened SFPs and took one, and plugged them into the 8T switch and it's doing the same thing; recognizes it first then I get "...bad crc" when I unplug\replug". It is now bricked. Down to 3 SFPs. 

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You could try the latest software release : https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286324103/type/280805680/release/15.2.7E5

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for the response. I tried upgrading the 8T switch to ver E5 but instead of recognizing a brand new SFP right away, it gives me "bad crc" and it's now bricked. Down to 2 SFPs. 

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

did you try in global config mode?

(config)#service unsupported-transceiver
(config)#no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Thanks for the response. I did try in global config more but the "service unsupported-transceiver" command still isn't recognized. The "gbic-invalid" command is recognized but my SFPs still get bricked and say "unsupported". Note, I do plug these into my other different model switches, 3560, 3850, etc and they're recognized right away with no issues plugging into other ports. I'm starting to think my switch(es) may be bad, probably shorting out my SFPs? 

ITOTGuy
Level 1
Level 1

I think I figured it out. I unboxed another C1000-8T-2G-L switch and it bricked a brand new SFP; recognized it at first then "bad crc" error when unplugging\replugging in. I unboxed a C1000-16T-2G-L and used a brand new SFP without any issues unplugging\replugging. So I probably have a bad batch of 8T switches. 

For the 24T switch, that ended up being fine. I realized I was plugging in my bricked SFPs and assumed it bricked those. Plugging\replugging a new SFP works without issue. 

Down to 1 SFP. 

This could be version of code ?

compare what is the code in each working vs not working ?

BB

The 8T, 16T and 24T are all on ver 15.2.7E4. The 16T and 24T have no issues. I upgraded the 8T to ver E5 and it bricked a brand new SFP immediately. 

Good to know the informaiton, i would pass through TAC now.

BB

Hello Everyone!
Unfortunately I have the same situation (C1000-24T-4G-L, Cisco C1000-8P-E-2G-L switches and GLC-LG-SMD SFP). Is there any progress on this, has anyone found a solution?

Thanks in advance:
Peter

Hey Peter,

I had to work closely with my vendor's tech support and did some further, extensive troubleshooting. Apparently, the GLC-LH-SMD SFPs they were sending me had a revision date of 7/2001 which could very well be incompatible with these switch models. They sent us newer SFPs with a revision date of 6/2007 which worked just fine. We even rolled back to the lowest IOS version and rolled up to each newer version each time to verify they worked on all of 2007 SFPs. 

Hy ITOTGuy!

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunetly this sfp is 6/2007. I will try to change the firmware to an older version. If that doesn't work either, I'm stuck now.

Br,
Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card