cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960S flash corrupted - should it be formatted?

We have a C2960S switch that has developed flash corruption, apparently due to a power outage.

It says the boot image is bad, leaves me at a "switch:" prompt. My only option appears to be to delete the corrupt boot image, and upload a replacement.

The fsck does not reveal any error messages, but if the boot image is corrupt who knows what else may be corrupted?

If formatting the flash would be the best decision, I would first like to preserve the existing switch confiig.

I do not see how to download switch configurations, without simply using cat to echo the flash:config.text to the console and making a copy of the terminal buffer.

This does not work to download from switch to laptop:

copy flash:config.text xmodem:

xmodem:: read only file system

I am not a Cisco switch expert. I simply am trying to get it operational again, following these various guides. I don't see anything specifically for the 2960...

Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml

2950 guide: Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Are there any other config files, other than "flash:config.text" that need to be downloaded from the switch, before formatting the flash?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, here's the deal.  The 2960S has a USB port, correct?  The two links you've posted?  Throw them away because you'll spend a minimum of 45 minutes just to get this switch running.  I have a better solution that'll get this switch working in 10 minutes (at most).

1.  Find a USB thumb drive (not a portable HDD) that you can format into FAT16.  Take note:  Not all USB thumb drives are supported so you'll need to be patient and find several ones.  You can use sizes from 128 mb to 16 gb.

2.  Copy the IOS .BIN file from your PC/laptop to the USB thumb drive.

3.  Stick the USB into the switch and enter the command "dir usbflash0:".  If the thumb drive is supported, you'll see the IOS file there.

4.  If you don't see the output then you'll need to find another USB thumb drive and go back to steps 1 to 3.

5.  If you see the filename in the output, then enter the command "boot usbflash0:IOS.bin".

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I could not find a compatible USB memory stick. Had to do XMODEM at 57600 baud, 115k was too unstable.

But, I will be buying some Cisco certified compatible USB memory sticks to backup and archive all our switch configurations.

Also since the onboard flash has proven so flaky during unstable power, I wonder if I could tell the switch to ignore the onboard flash and just boot and run from the USB stick. That way if it dies ever again, it's a simple pop out the old USB, and pop in a backup USB key, and we're running.

I wonder if I could tell the switch to ignore the onboard flash and just boot and run from the USB stick.

Yes.  This is possible to instruct the switch to read the config, VLAN.dat file and the IOS from from a different source (other than the flash:).

Also since the onboard flash has proven so flaky during unstable power,

Get the appliance RMA-ed.  2960S comes with Cisco Extended Limited Lifetime Warranty.

I wholeheartedly recommend rconfig as a free backup solution for your configs/tftp for ios.

www.rconfig.com

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card