cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960X password recovery using miniusb connection?

Bill46994
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to do a password recovery on a 2960 using the miniusb connection? That's the only cable I have for accessing the switch and I'm locked out of enable.

The steps for recovery says to powercycle the switch but when I do, putty loses it's connection and won't reconnect until after the switch boots up. 

Are there any tricks to get around this? 

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2960 or 2960S/2960X/XR?

C2960X

@Bill46994 wrote:

The steps for recovery says to powercycle the switch but when I do, putty loses it's connection and won't reconnect until after the switch boots up. 

Where is the bit that says to hold down the "Mode" button?

During the boot-up of the switch, does the console say the password-recovery option has been disabled?

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@Bill46994 wrote:

Where is the bit that says to hold down the "Mode" button?

During the boot-up of the switch, does the console say the password-recovery option has been disabled?

Well, that's sort of the reason I created this ticket. I only have the miniusb cable and when I reset the switch putty disconnects, so I can't actually see the boot-up.  I was looking for a way around this. 

Bill46994
Level 1
Level 1

So to rephrase my question, if you only had putty and the mini-usb cable, is there a way to do a password recovery? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card