cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960X PoE issue

Jeff Horton
Level 1
Level 1

Need to ask if anyone has ran into an issue that if 6 devices are connected in consecutive order? Co-workers have some switches that when they connection 6 IP Cameras on consecutive ports (17-22), port 18 and 20 do not power up.. This was duplicated on another 2960x switch also.. BUT we have been trying to duplicate the issue and can't seem to... Same part number on all switches.. NOW if the same 6 IP Cameras are spaced apart (ports 9, 11-12, 15, 17-18), they work just fine.. I don't have hands on the bad issue but if there are recommendations, I can send them up...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi
is the switch under support , you may have a hardware issue and the switch is not giving enough power draw to support the devices connected on that block

first i would try a new software version in case its a bug , theres a a newer version available , if that doesn't work id open a case get an RMA off Cisco

c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E7.bin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

I have read the others.. They were actually stating that their ports didn't work at all.. Mine works only when not bunched in a series of 6 or more... Ports that don't work when bunched up (ex: 17 - 22) for example 18 & 20, work when devices are spread out... Maybe there is something that controls the power for that group of ports that is bad...

What firmware are the switches running on?

They are running c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-6.E1.bin...

Hi
is the switch under support , you may have a hardware issue and the switch is not giving enough power draw to support the devices connected on that block

first i would try a new software version in case its a bug , theres a a newer version available , if that doesn't work id open a case get an RMA off Cisco

c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E7.bin

I too believe that this is a hardware issue... We have tried to recreate the issue but have not succeeded.. They have spares so they are going to try another switch... Thanks for all the suggestions..

Yes, I have seen issues with PoE and 2960x switches. It could make sense that the power is spread between different ports on the switch and you could overwhelm one said group of ports, but I have never read anything saying that.  I have always thought that you should be able to do a show power inline and look at the results.  It should tell you how much power you have and how much power is being used. 

I agree to try the firmware first and then TAC it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card