cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3560G-24TS won't go above 100Mb/s but should be 1000Mb/s ports

survivalbloke
Level 1
Level 1

I just upgraded my internet from 100Mb to 300Mb with FiOS.  I noticed that while I will get 300Mb/s if I connect my machine directly to my router(pfsense), all machines connected to my Cisco switch are maxed out at 100Mb/s.  I did a bit of preliminary searching and found that commonly a bad data cable can be the cause so I swapped out my cable for a known-good patch cable but I still get the same result.

Exactly what information can I provide to you in order to receive some help with this?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On the 3650 series switches the port starts from 0/1 to 0/24 (for 24 port switch).So , if it is connected to port 8 that is port 0/8

config t

interface 0/8

speed xxx

duplex full

if you want to set this for all interfaces, you can use the range command "interface range 0/x - 0/xx.

I recommend, you only change it for one interface and test before you do the rest of the interfaces, because depending on what is connected to the switch, this command is not always needed.

HTH

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the machine NIC's support 10/100/1000. If yes, you can always try and set the switch port at 1000 and test.

speed 1000

duplex full

HTH

Ty for the reply.  The nics are all 1gb nics.  Could you walk me through setting the port speeds?  I guess I figured they would just default to 1gb.

Whoops looks like I replied incorrectly.

Add the command to the interface where the device is connected:

config t

interface x/x

speed 1000

duplex full

HTH

OK, thank you for that. one more thing, how do I know which interface it is? I mean, if it's connected to say, port 8 of thw switch, what does that translate to?  Or better yet, can I just apply that to ALL the ports?

On the 3650 series switches the port starts from 0/1 to 0/24 (for 24 port switch).So , if it is connected to port 8 that is port 0/8

config t

interface 0/8

speed xxx

duplex full

if you want to set this for all interfaces, you can use the range command "interface range 0/x - 0/xx.

I recommend, you only change it for one interface and test before you do the rest of the interfaces, because depending on what is connected to the switch, this command is not always needed.

HTH

I go it.  I had to enter "interface GigabitEthernet0/8" and then I could input the speed command.  So, after I input that command, it took the link down.  I backed out and entered "show interfaces" and sure enough it's listed as 1000Mb/s so that's good.  but how do I get the link back up?

Also, what's the command to write these changes to memory?  I can't remember?

Also, what's the command to write these changes to memory?  I can't remember?

"wr"

HTH

If the link does not come up as Gig, try changing the cable.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card