cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C3750V2 Factory Default Login Credentials

dennis.meek
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to Cisco managed switches and purchased a C3750V2. When I try to log into the web interface and/or Cisco Network Assistant I get an message stating that I need to use "level_15_access."

1. What is level 15 access?

2. Where can I find the default username and password for that switch type?

I tried the below username and password combinations without success:

cisco, cisco

admin, admin

9 Replies 9

Hulk8647
Level 1
Level 1

what IP did you enter in the browser to get the username and password prompt

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @dennis.meek,

You have to set the switch up with a password, then, uses the switch password for access on web gui

S(conf t)username xxx secret xxxx priv 15

S(conf t)enable password xxxx

S(conf t)line vty 0 4

login local

An ADMIN account could be assigned the level 15 access for privileged EXEC mode.

Regrads

dennis.meek
Level 1
Level 1

I used the ip that was assigned by my router by looking up the Mac address.

you'll need to do what luis posted above. That should resolve it

It is not clear whether this switch is really a new (fresh out of the box) purchase or is a previously used switch. Especially if it is a previously used switch then there is probably an already configured user ID and password. You probably will need to use the password recovery procedure to configure a new ID and password. If it is a new switch then you should try access via the console port. A new switch will accept access via console and facilitate building a new configuration.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As noted by the others, across the net access often requires some basic configuration, which as noted by Rick, is generally done via console access.

First, thank you to each of you for taking time out of your day to help me.

Here is some information in response to some questions in the thread:

• The switch is not new, I purchased it as a decommissioned switch from a financial institution that when through an upgrade cycle.
  • The IT manager that I purchased the switch from said it should have been factory defaulted prior to shipping to comply with legal requirements.
  • I have been trying to use the web interface and not console port (we use Macs for software dev and linux on the servers).

One more request:

• I don't have a PC anywhere in the office and the only one I know I can get my hands on doesn't have a serial port.
  • I purchased a serial port adaptor cable last night and installed it to one of the macs.
  • I've verified the install took and can locate the adapter in the /dev/ directory and can add a connection through the network interface. 
  • The manufacturer suggest that I also install CoolTerm, which I did after making sure it was a legitimate software package with no malware or trojan history. 
  • Question: Does anyone know how to connect a mac to a console terminal either using the CoolTerm application or directly through the Mac Terminal or iTerm? I looked a couple of suggestest up on other message boards, but nothing worked; honestly, I'm not sure how the terminal connection process is supposed to work on a Cisco device. 

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful to know that this is a previously used switch that supposedly has been factory defaulted. Perhaps we need to be careful about terminology and what we mean when we say a switch has been factory defaulted. In my experience that typically means that the switch has essentially an empty configuration. It will have entries for each interface and certain other standard functions. But it will not have any IP addresses on interfaces and will not have any user ID and password. This documentation from Cisco seems to indicate that this should be the case for your 3750.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/hardware/installation/guide/3750x_3560x_HIG/HGTRBL.html#wp1060415

If the switch does have an IP address and perhaps a user ID configured then perhaps the financial institution has a different understanding of factory defaulted than I do, or perhaps it was not really factory defaulted.

At this point there are 2 alternatives that I could suggest for you.

1) you might try the password recovery procedure for 3750. This should get you access to the switch and able to set your own user ID and password. note this would need access to console port.

2) you might do your own factory reset on the switch by power cycling the switch and as it begins to boot to hold the mode switch.

While I am suggesting being careful about terminology I should also suggest that there may be some difference between what you get when you factory default a device and what you get when you have a fresh from the factory device. Some of the Cisco network devices do come from the factory with a configuration that does include an IP address and a standard user name and password. I am not clear whether this is the case with 3750 or not. 

I do not have much advice about your terminal emulator. If that emulator was suggested to you and if it successfully installs and runs on your mac then I would think it should be ok. One important thing is to set the correct parameters to match the characteristics of the Cisco console which are
Configure the baud rate and character format of the PC or terminal to match the console port characteristics:

9600 baud

8 data bits
1 stop bit

No parity

None (flow control)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In addition to what Rick has posted, it's possible the serial parameters defaults have been changed on the 3750. (If they were changed, without special hardware, finding the new combination can be done by trial-and-error, unfortunately with many possible combinations. If the defaults were changed, often the BAUD rate has been set to its maximum value. Usually, though, the settings noted by Rick work.)

Also, you need to insure you have the "right" cable. I believe computer serial ports and Cisco console ports are both usually DTE, which would require a roll-over or cross-over serial cable. (NB: I believe typical serial cables are configured assuming you're inter-connecting DTE and DCE ports.)

Unfortunately, like Rick, I don't have experience with MACs, but you might have a "hardware" problem, as noted above. If you have a modem, you might try connecting to it and see if you can "talk" with it. If so, that would validate your MAC's software/hardware.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: