Helpful
Replies

C3KX-SM-10G Quantity

csco11142276
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All Experts,

Need your help!

Can someone please advise how many C3KX-SM-10G sevice modules one would generally require in a stack of 4*3750x switches at access to;

1). Collect reasonably good or acceptable level of netflow stats for traffic belongs to access layer and/or flowing between access & core?

2). Enable Macsec between access & core?

My initial plan is to;

1). Cross connect this new 3750x stack to my existing core 6509E switches through 2*10Gb SFP+ connections from two C3KX-SM-10G sevice modules installed in top & bottom switch.

2). Another architectural thought is to use 10Gb links from 1* C3KX-SM-10G & 1*C3KX-NM-10G installed in top & bottom switch?

3). Last, which I'd hate or scared to even envisage due to commercial reasons, do I need a service module in each switch in the stack to ensure desired Netlow & Macsec results can be achieved?

Can you please advise supported architectures from above & your recommendation as part of best design practices?

Many thanks in advance!

JS

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

2 C3KX-SM-10G should be enough (one in the first switch and one in the last one).  Since the switches are stacked you can create an Etherchannel with all 4 10Gig ports (if you need that much bandwidth).  Regarding Macsec, if you are planning to do Macsec between switches, than you need to get service modules for the 3750s.  Also, on the 6500 side, only Sup-2T supports Macsec.

HTH

Thanks Reza

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card