Views
Helpful
Replies

C6509 SVI and trunks

Habib Zakaria
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I have core switch 6509 and access switches. On the 6509 switches I have created SVIs - different subnets and I have access Layer 2 switches on the floors. I have allowed traffice 1-100 on the trunk links.

I have a new host with IIS service and I gave it a static IP address the host is in vlan 102. which is not defined on the trunk links going to the layer 2 switches. I want to allow the users in other subnets in 10, 20 , 30 to access the host in vlan 102.

Right now I can ping the host in subnet 102 from the core switch and from the access switch that it is plugged too.

What will be the right steps to achieve this?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Habib,

Please find the reason and steps to have this communication:-

1- Host A is in vlan 20 and Host B is in Vlan 50 - Which means two different vlan and subnet.
For communication between the vlans you need to have a layer 3 device.

2- Now in our scenario we have layer 3 switch in between so kindly configure the layer 3 SVI for the vlans 20 & 50 respectively.

example:- int vlan 20
  ip address 171.16.10.1 255.255.255.0 >> same subnet which vlan 20 host is in.
          no shut

int vlan 50
 ip address 10.10.60.1 255.255.255.0 >> Same subnet which vlan 50 host is in.
          no shut

Hope this resolve your query.

HTH
Regards
Inayath
*Please rate all useful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello

I think youve answered your onw question!

- Create a L3 SVI  interface for vlan 102 for inter vlan routing
- Define L2 vlan 102 and alow this over the trunks

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Do I have to allow the vlan in the trunk? even though I want to put an access-list to allow few hosts to access that ip in vlan 102.

The reason I am asking i have campus wide network and my vlans are separated in between the office and manufacturing. we like to keep the traffic separate.

Allow the vlan over the trunk then create ACL for restricting the users accessing the vlans among each other.(You can think of PVLAN/VACL/ACL to achieve that).

HTH

Regards

'Inayath

Thank you Paul and InayathUlla,

I was able to allow the vlan on the trunk and the pinging from one switch to another switch is working fine but I am not able to ping from the laptop commad prompt to the other laptop.

I am not sure what is the issue here. I am attaching a small topology of my network as I do not understand why I can ping both IPs of the laptop from switch console but not from the laptops.

Habib,

Please find the reason and steps to have this communication:-

1- Host A is in vlan 20 and Host B is in Vlan 50 - Which means two different vlan and subnet.
For communication between the vlans you need to have a layer 3 device.

2- Now in our scenario we have layer 3 switch in between so kindly configure the layer 3 SVI for the vlans 20 & 50 respectively.

example:- int vlan 20
  ip address 171.16.10.1 255.255.255.0 >> same subnet which vlan 20 host is in.
          no shut

int vlan 50
 ip address 10.10.60.1 255.255.255.0 >> Same subnet which vlan 50 host is in.
          no shut

Hope this resolve your query.

HTH
Regards
Inayath
*Please rate all useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card