Views
Helpful
Replies

C6880-X VSS with FEX Upgrade

Maxee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently inherited a C6880-X VSS Cluster in one of our buildings for doing maintenance and software upgrade. Nobody really wanted to do it because there are over 400 access ports attached ... But I think it is necessary for security reasons.

Now I don't know how to do it with minimal downtime. Normally I would go the ISSU route but the version difference is too big.

Current version: 15.2.1-SY1a (NPE)

Goal: 15.5.1-SY4 (non-NPE)

Can I go directly from 15.2.1 to 15.5.1 without ISSU or eFSU or do I have to take some steps between? Even with ISSU I have to reload the FEX-Switches... and with ISSU I have to do a lot of steps.

Do you have recommendations? 

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Read the relase noted carefully ( check ROMMON Verson, what you have it may required to upgrade depens on exiting one installed)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-5SY/release_notes/release_notes_15_5_SY.html#pgfId-5359511

The upgrade can be done 2 ways, traditional way :( depends how your FEX connected ? is this dual home or single Homed ?)

Tradional  way :

- Copy the IOS to the primary bootflash:
- Copy the IOS to the secondary bootflash:
- Remove the boot variable string pointing to the old IOS
- Add the new boot variable string pointing to the new IOS
- Insert the boot variable string pointing to the old IOS
- Make sure the config-registry is 0x2102
- Save the config
- Reboot ( this means downtime required)

If you go ISSU Route : below guide help you.

https://howdoesinternetwork.com/2016/6880-issu

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the answer.
My FEX are all dual homed. I read that ISSU article but it only describes the minor upgrade path.

The ROMMON currently is 15.1(02)SY01. If I go the traditional way can I take the big step? I didn't find anything related to ROMMON or required versions in the release notes for the newest version

Hi,

I have verified and it seems to me that in the compatibility matrix of the ISSU way there is no upgrade directly from 15.2 to 15.5 so you have to proceed with the traditional way.

Best Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card