cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 IOS upgrade killed my media converter (add-gcmp-sx)

kyle.kelly.61
Level 1
Level 1

Why do I believe its the IOS? Because thats when they stopped working. The switch is a C9300-48S-E. It was upgraded to IOS XE 17.9.4a. We have other media converters that were still working so we thought that maybe the network gods fried 14 media converters of the same model at the exact same time lol. So we bought replacements and surprise, the new ones don't work. I plugged them into a different switch and they linked up. Before you jump to any possible configurations, we wiped the switch running 17.9.4a and still nothing. I then plugged it into the exact same model running 17.03.05 and it worked. Any ideas?

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What exactly do you mean by 'upgrade killed' ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Poor choice of words. It killed the link. No errors reported on the switch. It just cant link up. It doesnt even try. Initial symptoms would suggest a layer 1 issue, but those variables have been eliminated.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade to 17.12.3 and try again.

Still nothing

Roll back to 17.3.5 and see if the links recover.

9800-48S is an all-optics switch.  How are the media converters being presented to the switch, GLC-T?

If using GLC-T, are the media converts 10/100 Mbps or do they support 10/100/1000 Mbps?

Unfortunately, I can’t roll it back. STIGs say I can’t. I would test it out if I had a spare, but I don’t. The media converters are 10/100/1000Base-T to 1000Base-SX which connects to a 1000Base-SX SFP. The transition and black box MCs have the same specs and work just fine. The model i'm troubleshooting is ADD-GMCP-SX 

Post the complete output to the command "sh interface status".

hi,

looks like the ADD-GMCP-SX is the MC box.

what is the SFP used in the 9300?

is the SFP detected by the 'show inventory' and 'show interface <interface> transceiver properties' command?

i'd also suggest open a TAC case if the 9300 is under warranty.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card