Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 ROMMON Vuln not fixed by 17.3.7 upgrade

cisco-sa-c9300-spi-ace-yejYgnNQ states vulnerability fixed with ROMMON/firmware 17.3.7r  which is supposed to be bundled in IOS-XE with IOS 17.3.7.  After IOS upgrade I did get a ROMMON/firmware upgrade but to only 17.3.2r.  Yes I could try another IOS train however have found 17.6.x to be buggy in various ways generating crashinfo entries multiple times a day and breaking Dynamic VLAN assignment.(This is across hundreds of switches).  So does anyone know if there is a separate ROMMON to be installed or another way around this?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Catalyst 9300 ROMMON image cannot be independently updated.  

For ROMMON to get upgraded to a higher version, the firmware will need to be upgraded.  

Upgrade to 17.9.3 and post the complete output to the command "sh version".

Thanks Leo,  I figured that the ROMMON was only bundled with the IOS and yes I thought about upgrading to a higher IOS version but I need to bench test any new train, especially after all the problems I ran into with 17.6.x and Dynamic VLAN assignment.  Also I just prepped a few hundred switches with 17.3.7 thinking this was going to fix the vuln per the cisco-sa-c9300-spi-ace-yejYgnNQ.  Got a TAC case open to see if I might be able to get an "engineering" release of the next 17.3.x train(if they do that anymore).  If no luck there I will try the upgrade for the ROMMON, then downgrade for the version I know works with everything else.  I agree that your suggestion is likely a solution and will check it out.

@ThomasDorsey1955 wrote:
Got a TAC case open to see if I might be able to get an "engineering" release of the next 17.3.x train(if they do that anymore).

That is a very risky and dangerous move.  

I have never recommended anyone to request for an engineering special release.  And I do not want to start now.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card