Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two Cisco switches with VTP

Is it practical to run VTP on just two switches?  One as a master and one as a client? Or does it make more sense to just have them both as a master?  Is VTP only required configuration supporting more than two switches?

Thanks

DM

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No need vtp if you only two switch and in feature you dont plane to add more SW.

https://www.packettracerlab.com/vtp-not-recommended/

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Is it practical to run VTP on just two switches?"

Depends what you mean by practical.  For just two switches, not a whole lot of "need" for VTP.

"One as a master and one as a client? Or does it make more sense to just have them both as a master?"

What version(s) of VTP do you have in mind?

"Is VTP only required configuration supporting more than two switches?"

It's never required, just that its purpose is to ease VLAN management, when you have the same VLAN(s) on many switches.

@Flavio Miranda notes VTP as being useless although further noting having never seen it used in even a single environment.  I, though, have seen in used, and used it, it a couple of large Enterprise environments, and personally, I liked using it.

Flavio also mentions using it, damage can be catastrophic.  There he's correct, if using VTP versions 1 or 2.  I've seen it happen in a large scale Enterprise environment, using versions 1/2, because those versions don't preclude, by default, stupid mistakes using VTP.  (Sort of like early DOS which didn't ask for any "are you sure" confirmation when you typed "format" while the hard drive, C:, was the current drive.)  VTP, version 3, though, makes it much, much harder to make stupid mistakes.  BTW, versions 1 and 2 can also be configured such that you have to "work harder" to make stupid mistakes.  It also helps, to understand how VTP actually works, like for instance, for VTP versions 1 or 2 the true meanings of "server" vs. "client".

BTW, version 3, never much caught on, one possible reason being, with L3 switches, and/or large port hosting switches, often resulted in many fewer switches that would be within the same VTP domain.  For example, I've had used a 6513 with eleven 96 port cards, i.e. just one place to define VLANs, vs. using 44 24 port switches to provide the same edge port count.  The latter, if you had such, is where VTP seems to have benefit.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

No need vtp if you only two switch and in feature you dont plane to add more SW.

https://www.packettracerlab.com/vtp-not-recommended/

Note:- vtp defualt is transparent mode' so keep defualt mode dont config sw as master.

Hello

VTP is the most useless protocol I ever seen. I´ve been working with switch sinse always and I never saw one single environment where VTP was used.

The benefit is very  limited and the damage can be catastrophic. Dont metter is two or 100 switches, leave all of them in transparent and configure yours vlans manually or using some automation tool.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Is it practical to run VTP on just two switches?"

Depends what you mean by practical.  For just two switches, not a whole lot of "need" for VTP.

"One as a master and one as a client? Or does it make more sense to just have them both as a master?"

What version(s) of VTP do you have in mind?

"Is VTP only required configuration supporting more than two switches?"

It's never required, just that its purpose is to ease VLAN management, when you have the same VLAN(s) on many switches.

@Flavio Miranda notes VTP as being useless although further noting having never seen it used in even a single environment.  I, though, have seen in used, and used it, it a couple of large Enterprise environments, and personally, I liked using it.

Flavio also mentions using it, damage can be catastrophic.  There he's correct, if using VTP versions 1 or 2.  I've seen it happen in a large scale Enterprise environment, using versions 1/2, because those versions don't preclude, by default, stupid mistakes using VTP.  (Sort of like early DOS which didn't ask for any "are you sure" confirmation when you typed "format" while the hard drive, C:, was the current drive.)  VTP, version 3, though, makes it much, much harder to make stupid mistakes.  BTW, versions 1 and 2 can also be configured such that you have to "work harder" to make stupid mistakes.  It also helps, to understand how VTP actually works, like for instance, for VTP versions 1 or 2 the true meanings of "server" vs. "client".

BTW, version 3, never much caught on, one possible reason being, with L3 switches, and/or large port hosting switches, often resulted in many fewer switches that would be within the same VTP domain.  For example, I've had used a 6513 with eleven 96 port cards, i.e. just one place to define VLANs, vs. using 44 24 port switches to provide the same edge port count.  The latter, if you had such, is where VTP seems to have benefit.

@Deathmaster - My ipx Doom Days for 2 switches, it will be ok to use normal VLAN configurations , without VTP. but its your call. for 2 switches i will not use VTP.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card