cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 RSPAN not working

vsurresh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I'm trying to setup RSPAN to capture all the traffic come in and out of a switch port. I double checked all the configs but the traffic is not getting mirrored properly. Please see the attached diagram. 

rspan-21.jpg

1. The server is connected to a 9300 switch port which is configured with access vlan 10. 
  2. The 9300 is then connected to another 9500 switch via trunk port where both VLAN 10 and 100 (remote-span) are allowed.
  3. I have wireshark running on a PC connected to the 9500 with default configuration. 
c9300(config)#vlan 100
c9300(config)#remote-span
c9300(config)#monitor session 10 source interface Gi1/0/2
c9300(config)#monitor session 10 source interface Gi1/0/3
c9300(config)#monitor session 10 destination remote vlan 100 

c9500(config)#vlan 100
c9500(config)#remote-span
c9500(config)#monitor session 10 source remote vlan 100
c9500(config)#monitor session 10 destination interface Twe1/0/10

On wireshark, I can only see a very few packets such as broadcast and some L2 traffic between the servers. What am I missing? If I take a capture directly on the switch using 'monitor capture xxx' command, I can see all the traffic. 

Appreciate any response. 

18 Replies 18

Thank you for the Feedback and good to know, as we suggested and requested you need to provide more information of complete config for us to understand the environment and config so we can guide as per we know the information. is that OLD VLAN using any where other remote span ?

Glad any way good here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

orp
Level 1
Level 1

I've now encountered the same issue when I'm trying to RSPAN traffic to app-hosting's AppGigabitInterface. Did you ever manage to solve this issue? Thanks

Hi, I picked a different VLAN for the RSPAN which fixed the issue for me. Initially, I was using VLAN 100 and it didn't work. I then picked a different random one which started working. 

If you need more info - https://www.packetswitch.co.uk/cisco-ios-xe-rspan-configuration-example/

I've already tried a couple (100, 999). Just random VLANs. Still no success
I'll verify that my configuration is the same as in the link you've posted.
Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: