Views
Helpful
Replies

C9400 dual sup - etherchannel

MaxSL
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Can anybody advise if there is a possibility to combine ports on each of the dual  SUPs into a port-channel uplink?

Basically, the idea is to use SUP ports as an EtherChannel uplink but with members on different SUPs.

Thank you in advance for the answers. 

5 Replies 5

Something like this?

Resiliency and high availability

Cisco Catalyst 9400 Series switches are designed for excellent nonstop communications with noninterrupted hardware switching. With Cisco IOS XE Software, you can continue to reap the benefit of this best-in-class resiliency in various ways.

● Cross-Stack EtherChannel provides the ability to configure Cisco EtherChannel technology across different members of the stack for high resiliency.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9400-series-switches/nb-06-cat9400-ser-sup-eng-data-sheet-cte-en.html 

Yep, I found that one as well...but what is meant by "Cross-Stack EtherChannel" and "across different members of the stack"...

I undestood that you can take one port from one box and combine with another port from another box. But, they must be in a stack. After all, combine differents port from differents boxes in port channel were not allowed in any Cisco solution I ever saw.

It will be a single chassis with dual SUPs, no  StackWise virtual.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes possible you can use those ports but some sup cards may have limitations.

I will avoid connecting single homed devices to these ports. (because you lose the high availability if you lose 1 supervisor)

more can be found here 

Table 7.        Cisco Catalyst C9400-SUP-1 and C9400-SUP-1XL supervisor engine uplink options

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9400-series-switches/nb-06-cat9400-ser-sup-eng-data-sheet-cte-en.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card