cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9410R per slot bandwidth with C9400-SUP-1 vs C9400-SUP-1XL?

RB6502
Level 1
Level 1

The way I read (what I believe to be) the latest Catalyst 9400 Family white paper, for the C9410R, all line card slots are rated at 80Gbps each, no matter which of the current supervisor modules is used.

However, my colleague consulted a Cisco architect who apparently stated, "... I would be concerned with the SUP Engine 1 due to bandwidth limitation per slot (80 Gbps). I would recommend the 1XL SUP at minimum because it allows for 120 Gbps per slot."

So I just wanted to confirm that this is just noise on the channel, and that the C9410 in fact features 80 Gbps/line card slot, no matter which supervisor module?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at Table 3 and Table 5 of the Sup-1 data sheet (LINK). 

(In my personal opinion, the "plain" Sup-1 was released in 2018 and the XL/XLY were released in 2019.)

If the Sup is going to be installed in a 9410 chassis, then getting either the plain or XL/XLY won't make any difference because, at the end of the day, the chassis will downrate the XL/XLY to 80 Gbps anyway. 

The only difference will be found in Table 5.  

Future-proofing-wise, I'd get the XL/XLY.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at Table 3 and Table 5 of the Sup-1 data sheet (LINK). 

(In my personal opinion, the "plain" Sup-1 was released in 2018 and the XL/XLY were released in 2019.)

If the Sup is going to be installed in a 9410 chassis, then getting either the plain or XL/XLY won't make any difference because, at the end of the day, the chassis will downrate the XL/XLY to 80 Gbps anyway. 

The only difference will be found in Table 5.  

Future-proofing-wise, I'd get the XL/XLY.  

Thanks for the reply & clarifying!  These are going to be Layer 2 Distribution switches, with simple connected routes in the Core.  So I don't think that the differences in memory between the base & upgraded supervisor modules will be much of a factor.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card