cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500-24YC Stackwise virtual

AdamDownie12
Level 1
Level 1

I am about to do a deployment of two 9500-24-YC switches in a stackwise virtual configuration.

My only question is trying to decide if i need to implement a Dual-Active detection Link on this platform and if it would provide any value.

In my understanding the Dual-Active detection Link only operates on failure of both VSL links. On the 9500 platform if both links have failed then the complete function of the switch will be down. I am not using any modules.

Would anyone comment on this? Documentation seems to focus on the platforms that were originally released with Stackwise virtual (9400).

Thanks

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes Agree with you some point yes, when the VSL fails any way this will become dual active. But as per cisco recommedation dual active link detect the failover of this scenarios make necessary action since VSL link failed.

Both case same either 9400/9500/9600 when you deploying Satackwise virtual.

Dual-Active Detection

If the standby switch detects a complete loss of the StackWise Virtual link, it assumes the active switch has failed and will take over as the active switch. However, if the original Cisco StackWise Virtual active switch is still operational, both the switches will now be Cisco StackWise Virtual active switches. This situation is called a dual-active scenario. This scenario can have adverse effects on network stability because both the switches use the same IP addresses, SSH keys, and STP bridge IDs. Cisco StackWise Virtual detects a dual-active scenario and takes recovery action. Dual-active-detection link is the dedicated link used to mitigate this.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card