cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500 as an access switch?

robert.lorrison
Level 1
Level 1

So with the amount of EoL deadlines looming on the horizon, my datacenter is looking for a cost effective way forward that can provide 1gig fiber to the desktop currently, but with the option to scale upwards.  I’ve looked around and I keep coming back to the C9500-24Y4C and -48Y4C’s as a possible solution, except they’re not exactly intended to act as an access-level switch.

They’ll do 1gig according to the data sheet, I’ve already verified TMG compatibility, and our building is wired with 50-micron OM3 throughout...  Fiber runs aren’t too long so distance shouldn’t be an issue...  And the system managers are onboard with taking the 40/100gig plunge.

...So what am I missing?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure. A very, very expensive "access" switch.
Have you seen the Data Sheet for the 9300 (LINK)?
The 9300-24S is a 24-port SFP (SFP+ not supported except on the C9300-NM-8X) model. 
9300-48S is a 48-port SFP model.
Both the -24S and the -48S can be stacked with other 9300.

@robert.lorrison wrote:

And the system managers are onboard with taking the 40/100gig plunge.

For 40- and/or 100 Gbps density, then the 9500 may not be suitable.  

Have a look at the Catalyst 9600.

Judging from what I’ve seen on websites like CDW, the 9500’s are actually slightly cheaper than the 9300’s with identical port density, and that’s not even counting the network modules.  I suspect it’s mostly down to the 9500’s not being able to stack the same way as 9300’s.

Any additional cost is mostly down to having to invest in 40gig leaf and spine switches, which is what I meant by taking the 40/100gig plunge, but since we have to replace our N5K’s anyway...

Really can't replace a Nexus for a Catalyst.

We’re planning on purchasing Nexus 9300’s to replace our 5500’s.

Is this switch for server/storage connectivity or user connectivity? In your first post you mentioned data center and fiber cable and in the last post N5Ks, can you confirm what will be the function?

HTH

Catalyst 9500’s would act as client access switches using 40g uplinks to Nexus 9300’s, with peer-linked N7K’s as core.  Servers and storage are hosted on a UCS cluster.  Again the purpose for this is to provide 10g or better capability to the clients because they will be converted to virtualization hosts themselves at some point.

This switch should do for what you are trying to do as long as the end devices have fiber NIC installed.

HTH

Just one thing to note here is that none of the 9500 switches are POE. So, if you have phones you need to connect to the switch, you may want to look at a different platform (Cat 9300).

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: