Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9500 Redundant power supply

Hi, 

I have a site with a C9500 and they recently received a second power supply, I see that they are swappable but can they install the second pwr supply or to they need to shut down the switch and is there any configuration needed.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The PSU is hot-swappable and you don't need to change the config or take down the switch. All you have to do is to insert it into the slot.

Now, just to be sure, I would still do it in a maintenace window.

Power Supply Slots

The switch has two power supply slots that accept AC and DC input power supplies. The power supply modules are field replaceable units (FRUs) and are hot-swappable. The chassis is delivered with one power supply pre-installed in the power supply slot. If only one power supply is ordered, then a blank cover is installed in the empty power supply slot, which must remain installed if a power supply is not installed.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/hardware/install/b_catalyst_9500_hig/9500_product-overview.html

HTH

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The power supplies are OIR.  I have replaced a few of them while the 9500 is operational.  

No issue(s) reported.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The PSU is hot-swappable and you don't need to change the config or take down the switch. All you have to do is to insert it into the slot.

Now, just to be sure, I would still do it in a maintenace window.

Power Supply Slots

The switch has two power supply slots that accept AC and DC input power supplies. The power supply modules are field replaceable units (FRUs) and are hot-swappable. The chassis is delivered with one power supply pre-installed in the power supply slot. If only one power supply is ordered, then a blank cover is installed in the empty power supply slot, which must remain installed if a power supply is not installed.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/hardware/install/b_catalyst_9500_hig/9500_product-overview.html

HTH

Thanks! for the quick response. 

Good luck!

Also, once installed and powered up, you should be able to verify both PSUs with the below command:

sh environment power

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The power supplies are OIR.  I have replaced a few of them while the 9500 is operational.  

No issue(s) reported.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card