Cable Problem or that's what I think

smavashev
Level 1
Level 1

2 2950 Switches

1 3500 Switch

1 3550 Layer 3 Switch

1 2800 Router

The layer 2 switches are connected to layer 3 Switch via trunks, and routing between layer 2 switch ports with configured SVI's on 3550. All working fine.

Now I'm trying to configure routing between 2800 and 3550, I tried connecting both Straight Throught and Crossover cables to the 2800 Fa0/0 and Fa0/1 ports as well as the switchports on 3550

No switchport commands are configured however, the lights do not go on for both straight through or crossover cables. I tried connecting 1750 routers but same result. I'm so frustrated that I can't think what is the problem.

My goal is to have all the VLANS routed to the internet with configuring NAT translation the router. Are the ports faulty ??? What can I check ????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you are connecting a switch to a router (DCE to DTE) you just need a straight through cable.  Have you tried a different port on the 3550?

On the switch, the port that is connected to the router, can you do a "no sh" on that and the one on the router?

can you post the config from the switch and the router?

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you are connecting a switch to a router (DCE to DTE) you just need a straight through cable.  Have you tried a different port on the 3550?

On the switch, the port that is connected to the router, can you do a "no sh" on that and the one on the router?

can you post the config from the switch and the router?

HTH

It was the dumbest mistake, I forgot to do a "no sh" !! Wow

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card