cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a 4507R+E w/ sup8 be used in conjunction w/ a WLC5508?

luis.sato
Level 1
Level 1

We are about to replace an old core stack of 3750G Catalyst switches with a 4507R+E and the new Sup8 engine. We currently use a WLC 5508 to manage our wireless needs, can it still be used with the 4507? Will the 4507 require a new separate license if we decide to use its onboard wireless management capabilites?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you already own a 5508 stick to using it.  I wouldn't bother using the Sup8 for doing the wireless.

The 5508 is feature rich.  The Sup8 is a bit like the 5508 with lots and lots of features missing.  The only advantage of using the Sup8, in my opinion, is raw switching speed for WiFi traffic.

To use the Sup8 as a WiFi controller you have to use a special load of the software - something you probably don't want to be doing.  Stick to using the mainstream Sup8 software.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you already own a 5508 stick to using it.  I wouldn't bother using the Sup8 for doing the wireless.

The 5508 is feature rich.  The Sup8 is a bit like the 5508 with lots and lots of features missing.  The only advantage of using the Sup8, in my opinion, is raw switching speed for WiFi traffic.

To use the Sup8 as a WiFi controller you have to use a special load of the software - something you probably don't want to be doing.  Stick to using the mainstream Sup8 software.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card