cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can get 2960 after move to new site/core switch,,,,Vlan problem?

Jonnyballgame34
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I've got a cisco 2960 that has been moved to a new facility, connecting to a new core switch, and i can't seem to get it up.  it connects on port gi1/0/25 to port gi2/0/14.  

I believe the management domain on the old core switch is 1, on the new switch is 20.  I can reach the old core switch from the new one, and similar 2960 on the old core switch can reach the new core switch, (I have 40 hanging off the old one that need to be migrated)> 

I've tried the switch in both Vlan 20 and Vlan 1.  no dice.  

The one difference i see is that the old core switch has an additional Vlan (141) on it that isn't on the new switch.

Any ideas for starting points?  I got the trunk between the 2960 up to a point where it shows traffic, but no layer 3 functionality.

Have checked to make sure both sides of trunk match.  I've tried IP's from the old config and one from the management vlan on the new config, (not sure if I should try a different one). 

Can attach more info if needed---old and new switch Int-briefs on there now.

Any help would be appreciated---been out of the game for some time and got thrown to wolves at new gig---which i would like to keep.

Thanks very much

8 Replies 8

Are u using vtp transparent? Or are u sure all vlans are there on the switch u need?

the trunk is working fine? Necessary vlans are forwarding?

in general when u use vlan 20 "UP/UP on both sides " for management on the new core and switch and the trunk is fine it should work. 

Check if if all vlans are up/up and the trunk is working fine.

Hi 

Thanks for taking the time to look at my question

I tried adding the vlans I was missing and it didn't work.  These switches had their own vlan on the old switch, vlan 141 on the old switch.  I tried creating that one on the new core switch and it didn't work. 

For some unknown reason I can't even get Vlan 20 up/up again.  I can get vlan 1 up/up if I put it on there, but I can't ping out or in. 

Please let me know what other information you need, and thank you again. 

VTP mode was part of the problem..thanks again

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

Can you share the topology & the interface configuration of Cisco 2960 & new core switch?

Thanks & Best regards

HI Thanks for taking the time to look at my question.  

I don't have a diagram on this, but I think the topology is pretty straightforward.  The 2690 is connected gi1/0/25 to the Core on 2/0/14.   It's set as a trunk.  

The configs are parsed down and attached.  The 2960 has been changed some as i tried different things. 

-when the 2960 was attached to the core, they both had VLAN 141 established on them, it was a 192.168.** I assumed just so there could be an interface.  It was a reserved vlan just for these switches.  The new on doesn't have that. I tried giving it an address from the management vlan 20, and that didn't work.  I tried adding vlan 141, couldn't get it to come up.  

Am at a bit of the a loss. 

If you want me to try/clarify/ or provide any more information, let me know.  Thanks again. 

Hi;

Please find the below are my observation after go-through the interface configuration of Cisco 2960 (G1/0/25) & New Core (G2/0/14)

On New Core need to remove below command:

int g2/0/14

no switchport access vlan 900

Note: at same time interface either configure as access port of trunk.

Second whenever you configure allowed vlan on the link b/w 2 switches it should be same on both sides.

int g2/0/14 (New Core switch)

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3,5,10,20,50,100,106,141,200-201,306,701,800-803,900,906

int g1/0/25 (Cisco 2960)

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3,5,10,20,50,100,106,141,200-201,306,701,800-803,900,906

Thanks & Best regards;

Thanks again for looking at it.  I removed the 900 vlan.  

It turns out there is another access switch connected to the core that works, so I fixed the permitted list to match the switch.  I was able to get it updated on the 2960, but it still won't come up.

I really thought this would do it.   ....Any other ideas?  Thanks again

Also, for whatever reason I now only 6 vlans in the mananagement domain

!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/25
description *TRUNK TO USORESWCO001*
switchport trunk native vlan 999
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,10,20,106,200,201,306,701,800,803,810,900,905
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate
speed 1000
duplex full
ip dhcp snooping trust
!

Hi;

Do the following thing more on Cisco 2960:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/25

no speed / speed auto

duplex auto

shutdown

no shutdown

If still you are facing problem, then it’s seem to me a Layer 1 issue link i.e Fiber link/patchcord or gibic issue either on Core switch or 2960 switch.

Thanks & Best regards;

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card