cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I access a VLAN from a DS created on another Distribution Switch?

We have a bit of a complex network (or simple to some)

2x Core Switches feeding 4x Distribution Switches 

we created the VLANs on the Distribution Switches (for some reason) so those are not available on the Core

Now let's say Distribution 1 have a VLAN 404, Is there a way i can access that same VLAN from Distribution 4? and vice versa!

Keep in mind it's designed that i can ping any host on the Distribution 4 while i'm on another distribution and another vlan in Distribution 1 

just cannot get the same vlan to move across to that Dist 4.

7 Replies 7

Hello,

what does the configuration of the core switches look like ? Are these layer 2 or layer 3 switches ?

Hello

@ahmedalidxb91602 wrote:

We have a bit of a complex network (or simple to some)

2x Core Switches feeding 4x Distribution Switches 

we created the VLANs on the Distribution Switches (for some reason) so those are not available on the Core
Keep in mind it's designed that i can ping any host on the Distribution 4 while i'm on another distribution and another vlan in Distribution 1 

Why? the core needs to full visabilty , and to be able ping between vlans you need the core to perform the inter-vlan routing

Create the L3 svi's, and add the L2  for those vlans on the core.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, 

not sure if SVI's will work since they need to be on the same subnet

let me explain how it looks

Distribution 1 have multiple subnets i.e: 10.10.40.0 (data) and 10.10.42.0 (IP-Phone)

Distribution 4 have multiple subnets i.e: 10.10.80.0 (data) and 10.10.82.0 (IP-Phone)

now we have access switches coming down from the Dist 1 & 4 

the question is can i assign VLAN 82 to a port on an access switch on Dist 1?

unfortunately it's quite difficult to change anything on the core now.

Hello,

in order to avoid confusion, and to help you get a faster answer, post the running config of the distribution switch(es) and the core switch(es)...

Hello

@ahmedalidxb91602 wrote:

not sure if SVI's will work since they need to be on the same subnet

Okay the distribution switch should only be relaying L2 connectivity, So if you are manually pruning the vlans 40,42 dist 1 and vlans 80 -82 dist 2 then you need to allow vlan 82 to traverse dist 1 trunks towards its access switch(s) interconnects, However if you are for some reason appending L3 svis on the distribution switch(s) then that’s not an applicable design UNLESS you have a routed access layer network?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Dear all, 

below is how the network is done Core SW is only there to route subnets between Distribution Switches and each Distribution Switch 1,2,3 & 4 act like their own Core SWs 

Now is there a way to make vlan 61 that's on Distribution 3 be assigned to any port on any access switch connected to Distribution 1?

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 8.45.12 PM.png

Hello

@ahmedalidxb91602 wrote:

now is there a way to make vlan 61 that's on Distribution 3 be assigned to any port on any access switch connected to Distribution 1?

Looking at your design I would say no there isnt, Because you dont have extended vlans to the access layer and the L3 for each vlan resides on the distribution and not the core, you cannot duplicate address space on different distribution switches

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco