Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I create a vPC link to Catalyst Stack with a single port on each o

vilas01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello-

I am working to migrate to a vPC linked pair of N9K switches. I would like to connect this pair of switches to a legacy catalyst switch stack. I understand that this is possible and supported, but I am confused as to if I can create this link using only a single 1g cable from each of my N9k switches. I have done this before using 2 links from a single N9k switch to another switch, but never tried to create a vPC using a link from each switch. I also understand this is the purpose of vPC, but most of the docmentation talks about connecting to a downstream device via vPC like a server or router. Can I just do the same thing to my catalyst stack so that its VLANS are accessible in my N9k pair? I am trying to accomplish resiliency on this uplink pair. Sorry if this is basic, I am just trying to learn before trying to tackle this.

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can use single link from each 9K switch to stack member ( as per my understanding yor requirement) draw a small picture for more clairty or refer below guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes you can, 
the important thing to vPC pair is seeing one Bridge-ID and you mention that you use Stack then sure vPC pair see one bridge-ID and vPC link is success 

Santosh Kumar2
Level 1
Level 1

hi vilas,

last week, I had done the same thing , we have two nexus switch and 5 catalyst switch. for configure the port-channel  between nexus and catalyst with Vpc. 

you have to create port channel and define the vpc under that on both Nexus switch then> go to catalyst switch and create the port-channel. we can not run vpc cmd on edge switch.

after it your lacp will be up.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card