cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I err-disable a port that's taking crc errors on Nexus 5K/7K?

Jeff Lande
Level 1
Level 1

We have OTV running between 2 data centers on the same campus. In the Layer 3 path between the data centers we have multiple ways to get from one side to the other (4 equal cost paths).  One fiber link started to take errors and we didn't see it for a bit.  I assume it caused every fourth packet to fail and be retransmitted... jobs that normally take 15 minutes took 4+ hours and were canceled...

Is there a way to configure a port to automatically shut down or err-disable because it is taking errors?  UDLD Aggressive is enabled, it did not step in and shut the port.

2 Replies 2

andtoth
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jeff,

I'm not aware of a single command which would enable this, however you can write an EEM applet to monitor the interface counters and do an action based on it, such as shutdown the interface, send a log message or email.

Have a look at the Embedded Event Manager (EEM) on the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series documentation which is written for 6k but still valid for Nexus.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd805457c3.html

One slightly sad thing is precisely the interface counters are not available on the Nexus, although you could use the SNMP Event in EEM applet to monitor the required counter and do necessary actions.

Have a look on the following documentation and also refer to "Configuration Examples for SNMP Notification" section for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/system_management/configuration/guide/sm_eem_events_and_examples.html

Best regards,

Andras

James Watson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeff -

Did you look at using EEM to shutdown the port that was accumulating CRC errors?

Or did you find another way?

Be interested to know as I have a similar issue.

Regards,

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco