cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i use a 4500x with a 3750E

P.manhique
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4500X running Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(46)SG  as a Core Switch.

It is a single switch and i would like to configure HSRP using 3750E running Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSAL-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5 with the 4500X.

Is that possible to make the configs?

Regards

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can have hsrp running between these 2 devices , hsrp is platform independent and its supported in ipbase

Is it a best practice to configure HSRP on different switch models?

Hi No its not best practice

it will make no difference though same switch or not with hsrp

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I wouldn't classify using HSRP on like devices as a best practice, although it's often practiced.

Likewise using HSRP on different devices, I wouldn't consider a bad practice.

Much depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

For example, given your 4500X and your 3750E, I would consider the 4500X much superior, in many respects to the 3750E.  So although perhaps having a pair of 4500Xs would be nice (it would also allow you to use VSS), maybe you don't have budget for a pair.  So, perhaps you're using the 3750E in a compact spare tire role and the 3750E is "good enough" to keep you going, if the the 4500X breaks, until you get it fixed.

Or, perhaps, you want different platforms as your FHRP gateways, to avoid possible similar security flaw attacks and/or IOS bugs, on like platforms.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

All Cisco devices that support HSRP, should be able to inter work using a basic HSRP V1 configuration.

If you want to run HSRP v2 or mHSRP, both devices would need to support it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card