Views
Helpful
Replies

can not login to N5K-5672UP console

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a N5K-5672UP and i can login by telnet or ssh to the switch but when i want to connect to the switch by console it shows this error:

AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG
pam_aaa:Authentication failed from console - login

any idea how can is sovle this?

i do not have any special config just default configs (i already reset to factory) and use 4-5x SVI with port-channel.

Thanks,

21 Replies 21

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Show the output of : # show aaa authorization

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

here is the output:

SWT1# show aaa authorization
pki-ssh-cert: local
pki-ssh-pubkey: local
AAA command authorization:
SWT1#

SWT1(config)# aaa authorization ?
ssh-certificate Configure ssh certificate
ssh-publickey Configure ssh publickey

SWT1(config)#

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are using AAA, you may want to add this command and try again:

aaa authentication login console local

HTH

i think n5k-5672up is using aaa by default, i did notchange anything,

but i already execute that command here is my output:

show aaa authentication
default: local
console: local

i also simplified my password and change it to admin123 and tried with admin/admin123 but the result was same, i entered username and password then it shows user/pass again,

i can see my banner but it seems it can not parse the password.

my nxos version is :

kickstart: version 7.3(9)N1(1)
system: version 7.3(9)N1(1)

>....but it seems it can not parse the password.

- What do you mean by that sentence ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

when i enter username and password in the console it ask the username and password again then i login to the switch by ssh and check the logs and it shows the following error:

AUTHPRIV-3-SYSTEM_MSG
pam_aaa:Authentication failed from console

as you can see in previous replies i enabled aaa local authentication 

- How does the actual login-attempt on the console  fail  ? Is there a wrong-password message ? Or something else ?

M.

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

i have a banner when i connect to console it shows my banner and it ask username then i enetr that and after that it asks for password and i enter it again after all of them it shows the banner again and ask for username and password.

it does not show anything on console and it justs logs on the cisco that i sent you in previosu post.

- In terms of exact-analysis that remains a bit unclear, you want to post a screenshot , or a few of them. For instance what does 'after all of them' means (?)

M.

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

here is screenshot:

- What kind of terminal equipment do you have? Could you also try another
one such as Putty ? M.

It would help us understand the issue better if we had more information. Ideally I would like to see the complete current running config since there are several things that might impact authentication on the console. But if you do not want to post the complete config then let us start with 

show run | include aaa

You could also use these steps to investigate the issue:

- login to the switch using telnet/SSH

- enter enable mode

- term monitor

- debug aaa authentication

- keep the telnet/ssh session running while you attempt console access

- post the debug output

- no debug aaa authentication

- logout of the telnet/ssh session

HTH

Rick

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

i tried with ipkvm and mikrotik both of them does not help,

i also tried with direct laptop.

>i tried with ipkvm and mikrotik both of them does not help,

These are not familiar for me, try with Windows and Putty (a 'most common solution') , if problems persist then execute the full debugging procedure  requested by Richard too.

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card