cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ping the gateway but not the hosts on a newly created VLAN

drummergeek
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to change the VLAN tag on a vlan on one of my core switches.  Currently the network is vlan 5 and i need to change it to vlan 7.   The subnet with remain the same.  

During a maintenance window, I shut down the vlan 5 layer 2 and the vlan interface layer 3,  then i created the interface vlan 7 with the same subnet at vlan 5 and created the layer 2 vlan 7.  

The vlan goes though a switch to get to the edge switch that the host is connected to.  I can ping the gateway of the vlan 7 i created from the switch in the middle and the switch on the other edge (3 switches involved total: core, middle switch, and edge where host is) but when i put the interface on the edge switch that the host is connected to I cannot ping the host from the core, middle, or even the edge switch that the host is attached to.  

IProuting is turned on with all switches, and the vlan 7 is allowed across all interconnecting trunks.

I am attaching a diagram to help show it better.  

Any help is appreciated!

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is the Host belong to VLAN 5 before, after changing VLAN 7, did you change the access port VLAN 5 to VLAN 7 ?

post the 3560  show run, show ip arp what post host connected? what is the IP of the host?

Also suggest to clear arp table,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

The gw in pc have mac address of old vlan you need to make pc arp again new mac for same gw

That would make sense since I changed the switchport access vlan to 7 on the port of the host.
To what would I type to clear the arp or the MAC on the interface(s) for the host? Clear arp? Clear arp interface? Clear mac?

You can try this

#clear arp-cache ?
A.B.C.D     IP address
interface   Clear the entire ARP cache on the interface
vrf            Clear entries for a VPN Routing/Forwarding instance

on which switch would i run this on, the core switch that the vlan 7 is on, or the edge switch that the host is on.

Also i notice when i do a show vlan I only see vlan 7 on the core switch on the list, not on the switch in between the core and the edge and not on the edge switch.

i also ran clear arp-cache int gi0/47 and no change.

Kindly share Layer 3 connected port configuration.

And post @balaji.bandi mention command output.

Pc windows,

arp -d

make pc refresh the arp table” if you use same GW ip”

LikeMyFloydPink
Level 1
Level 1

Just out of curiosity, could you ping the host when it was in VLAN-5 prior to changing to VLAN-7?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card