Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't console into Cisco 2900 XL series Switch

Aqueel-Rafique
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone please help me on how to console into a Cisco 2900 xl series switch? I used the same console cable which i use to connect my routers but when i try to connect the 2 swicthes through hyper terminal it doesn't display anything.

I used the following configuration on hyper terminal, the same configuration i  used to connect the routers

Bits per second - 9600

Data bits - 8

Parity - none

Stop bits - 1

Flow control - none

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot

12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If it does not work with default 9600, you may want to try 38400 and test again.  May be some one has changed the speed of the console.

Also, if the switch is not in production and you can reboot it, try connecting the console cable to it and reboot the switch.  Some time this works.

one more thing, if none of theses works, try using a different terminal emulator like Tera Term, Putty or Secure CRT..

HTH

Reza

I tried 38400 but it din't work ot also doesn't display rommon mode

I used the same console cable for my routers and it works but both of my switches doesn't display anything in hyper terminal

Thank you

what does that mode switch in the front do?could it be something wrong with that ?

I can only reboot the switch using the power switch

what does that mode switch in the front do?could it be something wrong with that ?

The mode switch is used for password recovery.

Turn off the switch connect the console cable to it and then turn the switch on.

As I said before, if none of there works you may want to try TeraTerm or Putty.  They are free

HTH

Reza

i did all of those things but it didn't work?

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

please see the table beneath as for the information requested:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/releasesa4/icg/macable.html#wp4721

Best regards,

Antonin

I'm sorry i don't understand that table. I'm kind a sure that there is nothing wrong with the switches i mean how come both of the switches are not working.

Could it be the console cable i'm using but i use the same console cable to connect my routers and they work?

One my friends said that an IOS is not installed on the 2 switches but can't even access rommon mode?

when i connect the swtches through hyper terminal it doesn't display any charecters at all?

did you try it using Putty?

yes i did but it seems like a hardware error , but i'm not sure i mean how come both of the switches doesn't work

can't be 2 bad switches.  Try another console cable

Ya i'll try that but i'll have to buy another console cable because at the moment i got inly one console cable.

but i'm sure the console cable i have works properly as i use it to connect to the routers and it works well

I agree with Reza's first post. I have a 2950 that even when the startup-config is erased has a funky baud rate. Within your terminal application go through each and every one of the baud rates, go back to the main terminal window and press enter a few times. Eventually you'll find the correct baud rate that the switch is using. If the console cable is working on other devices it is not bad. Once you're in the switch issue the following commands:

en

Config t

Line con 0

speed 9600

This will reset the baud rate to 9600 which is the default. It will kick you out of the switch so you'll need to change to baud rate in your terminal app to reflect that of the switches.

Good Luck,

Daniel

KenHBadio
Level 1
Level 1

Try using BAUD rate 19200. Had the same problem and this resolved it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card