Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping the second network interface connected to a switch

I have the following topology:

Default Gateway1 <--> SWITCH1 <--> [ NIC2 - (Windows 10 PC) - NIC1 ] <--> SWITCH2 <--> Default Gateway2 --> Internet

NIC1 is DHCP configured, and connects to the internet successfully.

NIC2 has a static IP address/subnet mask/default gateway (They are correct as I tested them on another machine) but I can't ping its IP from switch1, even though they are directly connected.

I'm trying to isolate the issue to find if it's from the switch or PC, I can ping default gateway1 from switch1.

For NIC2, Wireshark shows that ARP can't resolve the MAC address for default gateway1, although this interface receives CDP/VTP Packets from switch1.

Is this a case of windows preferring to use the first interface and "implicitly" disabling the other one? Or do I need a specific configuration under the interface on switch1?

The interface configuration (authenticated using dot1x):

SW1-2960#show running-config interface g2/0/2
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 378 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/0/2
 switchport mode access
 authentication host-mode multi-auth
 authentication open
 authentication order dot1x mab
 authentication priority dot1x mab
 authentication port-control auto
 authentication periodic
 authentication timer reauthenticate 900
 authentication timer restart 2
 mab
 dot1x pae authenticator
 spanning-tree portfast edge
end

SW1-2960#
1 Reply 1

Hello

I assume the switches are only running from a layer2 perspective as such they have no routing functions other then a mgt address if one is configured.
Whatever device is  performing the L3 routing needs to be aware of both networks that reside on the PC two network cards

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card