Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't reproduce this STP loop. Why?

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I am trying to reproduce a Spanning-Tree loop in my lab that occurred on Ops, and for the life of me I cannot break it. The loop is very simple:

On Ops: 

Cisco 2960------------FW that doesn't forward STP traffic-----------Cisco 2960

|                                                                                                                        |

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

This created an STP loop.  In my lab, I am substituting the FW for another Cisco 2960 with STP disabled and BPDUFilter on ingress/egress ports to stop the switch from sending BPDU's to the downstream switch to keep it in the dark, as the FW did on Ops.

Stand-in SW 4 FW#show spanning-tree

No spanning tree instance exists.

Stand-in SW 4 FW#show run | begin interface FastEthernet0/23

interface FastEthernet0/23

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

interface FastEthernet0/24

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

Now, to my knowledge, I've just stopped the stand-in FW switch from sending and recieving BPDU's; emulating the Ops Firewall, so my downstream switch should assume it is safe to bring up the loop, since it's not recieving BPDUs.  However, every time I plug in the loop, STP still blocks it.

How can this be if I've cut off the BPDU supply to the downstream switch?

1 Reply 1

guibarati
Level 4
Level 4

Don't you have loop guard or unidirectional link detection enabled?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card