Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we determine the serial number of a device using a barcode sticker

Palash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have been assigned a ticket where I am asked to perform a reboot of a device with the help of onsite support. The problem is:

• Everything related to the device's location is not up to date like rack location, rack name, rack unit, floor, etc.
  • The devices are not tagged with their names in that location.
  • The device in question is down(powered down) for a long time. 
  • There are other devices that are identifiable but the onsite (electrical engineer) who usually assists us with reboot has no expertise in tracking down the cable nor wants to assist us in tracing the cables.
  • Asked the electrician to see the serial number on the router but he is not able to find it as there is very little space to look for, there is not enough space for inserting a smartphone between the rack units.

I was able to find another device that has a name on it and has an interface connecting to the device in question which is a 3900 series cisco router.

I was able to gain some information, there are 3 such devices and out of the 3, 1 is powered down with no power/data cables plugged into it. Otherwise, I would have been able to find the number of the used interfaces on the router using the device config backup.

I have tried all the possible ways of determining the identity of that router. 

I have also discovered that there is a barcode on that router. Is it possible to find out the serial number of the device using that barcode?

Or there any other ways to determine the identity of that isolated router?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console

Thank you for the response. But there is no console server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco