cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we use gigabitethernet link in portchannel for VSL for 6509 VSS instead of tengig links

rjamal
Level 1
Level 1

Can we use gigabitethernet link in portchannel for VSL for 6509 VSS instead of tengig links?

I have following hardware

Qty: 2 x Cisco 6509 chassis, each populated with:

1 x VS-C6509E-SUP2T - IP services and VSS

2 x WS-CAC-3000W - Power supplies

2 x WS-X6824-SFP-2T - fibre blade with GLC-SX-MM (fabric enabled DFC4)

1 x WS-X6848-TX-2T - copper 10/100/1000 blade (fabric enabled DFC4)

so in my 6509 I don't have any Tengige Module. and want to use both 6509 as VSS , so can I use Gige links to form the VSL instead of tengige ?

6 Replies 6

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Surely you can use the Gig Interfaces for the VSL Links, However, its not recommended. The reason behind having the 10Gig VSL uplink ports is for its impact on the Backblane Capacity and Forwarding rate.

Regards,

Mohamed

Hi Mohamed,

VSL links must be 10Gig. 

The VSL link is treated as a systems control link and encapsulates all  traffic into a special system header called the Virtual Switch Header  (VSH). This encapsulation is done via dedicated hardware resources and  the VSL can only be configured on a 10-Gigabit interface with following  hardware ports:

Sup720-10G, 10-Gbps ports

WS-X6708

WS-X6716 (in performance mode only, requires 12.2(33)SXI)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/VSS-dg_ch2.html

HTH

HTH

Hi Reza,

As Sup 720 10G ports can be used as VSL link, so i assume same is true with the sup 2T 10 gige port.

also  can i create VSS system by using 2 6509 with one SUP 2T on each of them instead of 2 SUP 2T on each chassis ?

Hi,

The only 2 sups that support VSS are Sup-720-VS and Sup-2T. On each Sup you can use the 10Gig links for VSL.

also  can i create VSS system by using 2 6509 with one SUP 2T on each of them instead of 2 SUP 2T on each chassis ?

Yes, all you need is one Sup-2T in each 6500.

HTH

Reza

Please rate and close the post if the answers helped you, this way others can benefit from it.

Hi Reza,

Although havent seen it done on non 10-Gig Ports, I assumed it should work for the Gig as well, but the documentation clearly stated only the SUP 10-Gig ports can be used for VSL. Thanks for correction (+5 rating).

Regards,

Mohamed

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card