cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can WRVS4400n do MAC Address Reservation ?

tekhome12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to set up a customers system and we bought them a WRVS4400N Router.  This replaces the rather untrustworthy DLink basic model that is having connection issues.  I normally setup my systems with MAC Address Reservation for a few reasons.

1 The home automation I can then set to DHCP so it will always connect, and the IP address will be the same so long as the router is unchanged

2 I have found in the past that Apple devices (of which the customer has 6) often have problems staying connected to wireless.  Rather than go and change the system to lower powered G Network as suggested on MAC forums, I have found that I rarely if ever have problems if I use MAC Reservations.  Started doing this when I had a computer tell me it couldnl't connect to a network because its ip address was in use by another computer.  Which didnt' make sense as the computer was set DHCP and so was the router...  Seems that Apple devices occasionally have issues talking to Non-apple devices.

I'd really rather not switch to an Apple Extreme router as their programming can be, uhh somewhat hard to follow.

1 Reply 1

tekhome12
Level 1
Level 1

Nevermind, thanks to all who read this, got an answer on another website.

There is MAC Address Reservation, its just not called that.  Under LAN tab its listed as Static IP Mapping, and the only difference from DLink is that you can't choose by clicking on the device, you have to know the MAC address and type it in manually.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card