cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you trunk two ports on two different switches in the same StackWise stack?

leam_hall
Level 1
Level 1

Morning all!

We're looking to add some redundancy for a few of our larger hosts and I'd like to trunk two ports for one of our devices. The question is, if I have a StackWise connected pair of 3750's, can I trunk one port in Switch A with one port in Switch B?

Thanks!

Leam

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Leam-

Yes you can do that but there is a caveat. Some or all of the ports for the VLANs will go into blocking. You will be creating a spanning tree loop and to prevent broadcast storms, the switches will place one (or more) ports in blocking mode to prevent the loop. It could happen in your stack or other switches that the VLAN is on. To prevent this you can create a L2 etherchannel between your two switches and have it trunk.

View solution in original post

hegegabor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the cisco phrase the trunk means 802.1Q.

the trunking that you want is the etherchannel.

And the answer is yes you can "trunk" aggregate links with etherchannel on different devices.

here you can find a config example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00806cb982.shtml

vote if it helps.

regards

Gabor

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Leam-

Yes you can do that but there is a caveat. Some or all of the ports for the VLANs will go into blocking. You will be creating a spanning tree loop and to prevent broadcast storms, the switches will place one (or more) ports in blocking mode to prevent the loop. It could happen in your stack or other switches that the VLAN is on. To prevent this you can create a L2 etherchannel between your two switches and have it trunk.

hegegabor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In the cisco phrase the trunk means 802.1Q.

the trunking that you want is the etherchannel.

And the answer is yes you can "trunk" aggregate links with etherchannel on different devices.

here you can find a config example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00806cb982.shtml

vote if it helps.

regards

Gabor

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card